Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually putting my current ride up for sale soon, but someday I do plan on getting another bike. I'm curious what custom builders offer affordable custom geometry.

I know the term "affordable" is subjective, but I would like to know what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
ronniedee said:
I'm actually putting my current ride up for sale soon, but someday I do plan on getting another bike. I'm curious what custom builders offer affordable custom geometry.

I know the term "affordable" is subjective, but I would like to know what your thoughts are.

Last I checked Tom Teesdale and Curtlo built custom frames for around $600.

·
Registered
732 Posts
???

Why do you want to buy another when you don't have time to ride the one you love? Just curious.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have too much free time on my hands today

Thorn Bait said:
Why do you want to buy another when you don't have time to ride the one you love? Just curious.
'Cause I'm already thinking ahead and I have too much time on my hands today. We got snowed in (Charlotte, NC) and I've surfed the internet way too much. I liked the Strong Frames in the Custom bike discussion forum and I started looking around. Realized I would not pay that much for a bike, so I posed the question here.

I knew someone would notice I posted both threads. ;)

And I appreciate you posting a reply on each!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Cheep custom doesn't make sense

If you are going custom, the idea is to build yourself a "keeper". Saving a few hundred dollars should not be a priority. You don't have to buy a Richard Sachs bike, there are many frame-builders if you look around.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm almost getting sick of saying this

Marinoni!!! I swear I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
It isn't so much custom as it is the ability to alter the geometry, paint, and frame options of any of their frames. (How that differs from "custom" i'm not sure). Anyway, "custom options" can be had for about $100 cdn above the cost of the frame.
A ciclo (their sport tour model made with columbus zona) starts at $600 cdn. That's a custom frame for around $550 American dollars!!! I'm buying one myself very soon. This isn't a fly by night company guiseppi marinoni has been building world class frames for over 30 years. Maybe i should copy and paste this response into a file somewhere so I can dig it out again next time someone asks for an "affordable custom frame" :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well, I think probably what he/she was getting at was whether or not there are builders who do good work, but perhaps do not cost as much as others. It's hard to say where the art of frame building will be in the future - or even which custom builders will be around. I don't own a custom frame, but I would bet it wou;dn't hurt to shop around - and to get different estimates for cost on different materials.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frith said:
Marinoni!!! I swear I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
It isn't so much custom as it is the ability to alter the geometry, paint, and frame options of any of their frames. (How that differs from "custom" i'm not sure). Anyway, "custom options" can be had for about $100 cdn above the cost of the frame.
A ciclo (their sport tour model made with columbus zona) starts at $600 cdn. That's a custom frame for around $550 American dollars!!! I'm buying one myself very soon. This isn't a fly by night company guiseppi marinoni has been building world class frames for over 30 years. Maybe i should copy and paste this response into a file somewhere so I can dig it out again next time someone asks for an "affordable custom frame" :)
Isn't the ability to alter geometry, paint, and frame options what everybody means when they say "custom". The reasons I'm intrigued by a bike that has altered geometry, paint and frame options are 1. perfect fit 2. painted to my liking 3. no one else would have one like it (hopefully) ;) .

I appreciate the tip on the Marinoni's. And I'm sure Guiseppi does, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second the Marinoni's

Marinoni's are great frames and very affordable. At the high end, if you like steel, a custom Columbus Spirit frame can be had for about $1000 Can and in aluminum a Starship frame is about $1300 Can. I'm not sure what this is in US $$. Slighter lower end is an Airplane frame for $700 Can with custom geometry somewhere around $100-150 more. He also builds with Zona and Zonal tubesets. Paint is custom at no charge and you can get your frame repainted for a good price so it feels like you have a new bike every year or two.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Oasis Custom Cycles

He builds custom steel frames using Reynolds 853 tubing for $1000. He will do lugs or no lugs depending on your needs. He uses forged lugs and will be happy to tell you the advantages of them over cast lugs. His number is 602-978-3787 and is located in Glendale Arizona. He is a one man shop and will be starting my frame this week.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
ronniedee said:

there are a lot of small builders around that are relatively inexpensive. just look around. i have a custom curtlo - fillet brazed frame, carbon fork <$1000 and he's not necessarily the least expensive out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts