Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that statement may be bit of an oxymoron, but recently I've noticed a lot of newer companies have some carbon clincher wheelset offerings in the 50cm range. What's the least expensive set with decent quality? I'm not interested in $1000 Zipps or the like.

brewster
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
brewster said:
I realize that statement may be bit of an oxymoron, but recently I've noticed a lot of newer companies have some carbon clincher wheelset offerings in the 50cm range. What's the least expensive set with decent quality? I'm not interested in $1000 Zipps or the like.

brewster
TOKEN. but they will run you close to $1100. Zipp are a lot more.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
heliskyr said:
There was a nice write-up of these wheels that I had never heard of before- basically they're older Zipp designs (which are still nice wheels) with cheaper hubs:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/reviews/williams_cycling_system_3808

At $1200 a set, not more than you would spend on a nice set of upper end clinchers.
Those are tubular 38mm deep wheels.
I have some Williams 50C full carbon clinchers and have been very pleased with them. They are stiff, light and roll very well. I have ridden them a lot a raced on them several times. After 1000 miles or so, I just had them touched up and they really didn't need it.
If you can wait, Williams has full carbon 38mm and 58mm clinchers coming in October...
Keith Williams is a stand up guy too.
You really can't beat them for the money....:thumbsup:
 
G

·
I was overall let down by my Reynolds Carbon clinchers and sold them. They weren't particularly bad in any one way but they weren't spectacular at all. They looked good on my bike but outside of that I didn't see any reason to keep them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
kytyree said:
I was overall let down by my Reynolds Carbon clinchers and sold them. They weren't particularly bad in any one way but they weren't spectacular at all. They looked good on my bike but outside of that I didn't see any reason to keep them.
Reynolds wheels, particularly the DV series, tend to have a lot of problems of all kinds from the hubs to the rims.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Reynolds Attack wheels have been constant problems

PigmyRacer said:
Reynolds wheels, particularly the DV series, tend to have a lot of problems of all kinds from the hubs to the rims.
I, and cycling pal, both have Reynolds Attack CF wheels, had them since March or so. Unfortunatly, neither of us have spent much more than half the time, if that, since riding on them. Both had problems with the hubs, mine back to Reynolds once with a bent axle and wore out bearing races, with maybe 1000 miles on wheels, (after 6 weeks, just got back, rebuilt with new rear hub and spokes, and now after only 4 rides, rear quite out of true, off it will come and off to the LBS). Pal's back to Reynolds, loud clanking in rear hub, Reynolds did nothing to fix first time, so back again it went. Just got it back (after maybe 2+ months, total) yesterday, he hasn't yet ridden on it. He had problems keeping it true before this issue surfaced. Neither of us are impressed, with either the wheels or the Reynolds repair / warranty service. I wish I had not bought this ($1200) set of wheels.

Oh, I will add we both weigh 205-210 pounds, however Reynolds insists there is no weight limit on their wheels.

Doug
 

· fifth time's a charm
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
I did a lot of searching for an inexpensive set of deep section carbon clinchers. Spinergy had the lowest price point that I found. Seemed like they were still around 1200 dollars. You might find some used ones on Ebay for less. I personally went back and forth and eventually Ebayed some of my unused items and purchased some Zipp 404s. Honestly, I will do without a lot of things in life, but I will do anything not to be without my Zipps.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top