Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been dealing with this for a month or so. I've been doing a lot of stretching/icing, taking lots of Motrin, fish oil, etc. and I've laid off the riding. My problem is how do I balance taking it easy on the leg and not losing my fitness level. I can't be of the bike for 5-6 weeks. I rode last night for the first time in a week and it held up til about 25 miles and then it wasn't nearly as bad as a couple of weeks ago. Did I undo all the recovery I had from the week off? Do I just need to do short rides for awhile or will all the stretching, Motrin, and stuff I wasn't doing before eventually have an effect an catch up with it while still riding.

I'm really frustrated because I'm caught between not wanting to jeopardize my early September Goal event and not wanting to lose my fitness level and I don't know what to do.

BTW, my problems started when I got a professional fitting so I put all my fitting back to where it was before the fitting and went back to my old shoes and that has seemed to help.

· Registered
298 Posts
The only thing that worked for me was time off of the bike. I tried riding through it and it would come back everytime. Like you, I could make it about 1-1.5 hours before it would hurt again. I took a full 6 weeks off the bike at the end of the season and it hasn't hurt since (it was over a year ago). I hope there's a better way but I couldn't find one.

· Registered
1,469 Posts
I recommend you read Andy Pruitt book Medical Guide for Cyclists. Your ITB problem most likely due to poor bike fit, if problems appeared after you or fitter changed your position. I have been there. Most likely the seat was too high (or too far back or evenb both) and/or the cleat angle was off (too much heels out?). Is the problem only on 1 leg or both? If 1 leg then you probably also have some assymetry i.e. shorter leg or pelvic issues etc. This may require a shim to correct. Good Luck. I know how you feel.

· Registered
68 Posts
A physio-therapy foam roller seems to loosen my IT's up and helps stretch em -- hurts so good.

6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
acid_rider said:
I recommend you read Andy Pruitt book Medical Guide for Cyclists. Your ITB problem most likely due to poor bike fit, if problems appeared after you or fitter changed your position. I have been there. Most likely the seat was too high (or too far back or evenb both) and/or the cleat angle was off (too much heels out?). Is the problem only on 1 leg or both? If 1 leg then you probably also have some assymetry i.e. shorter leg or pelvic issues etc. This may require a shim to correct. Good Luck. I know how you feel.
He moved my seat up AND back!

· Registered
656 Posts
foam roller, aqua-jogging, stretching, ice/heat, stretching, avoid squats or lunges when lifting, and more stretching. If you're going to ride, lower your seat and spin the low gear. It irritates the band much less than if you push a high gear.

· Registered
714 Posts
Oh, did anyone mention that it never really goes away?

I suffered from ITBS when I was running a lot. The only solution when it got very bad was ice, elevation and ibuprofen. Take an ibuprofen, half an our later, lie down, with you foot propped above your head and an ice pack strapped on just above your knee. Do it at least twice a day. MAYBE in 4 weeks time it will be gone.

Be careful with stretching while you have ITBS. You can inflame the band even more. Stretching while your tendinitis has subsided is OK, just be careful; don't over-do it.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah...the foam roller KILLS!!! Let me ask a question...I don't experience any pain while riding, running, walking, climbing stairs or going down, but I feel an ache in my right knee when just sitting around. This started after I MOVED THE SEAT BACK AND UP after putting a new saddle on and did about 100 miles...then I asked my LBS to see what was going on and of course they moved the saddle down and up (my bad). When I do the foam roller, it HURTS both legs, but I am only experiencing the issue in my right knee. Is what I am experiencing the IT band or could it be something else?

6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm getting better. I've been stretching a lot, lots of ibuprofin and omega3 fish oil, ice, etc. I rode 26 miles last night with no pain. :)

Oh, and I put my seat back to where it was before I got fit and went back to my old shoes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.