Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you fellows use to inflate your tires ? And check psi ?
I have been using a floor pump but sometimes its a pain to get clipped on the presta vaulve. And the clip always hits my knuckle when I unclip it....Ouch !!
I have been looking at a

Prestaflator Mini that fits on my air compressor.

Is there an easier way to check and inflate road bike tires ?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Get a better pump. I've never had those problems with floor pumps.
Right. Some pump heads work better than others. Most of us use a floor pump with a built-in gauge, and it's easy and quick. What kind of pump is yours? If you're having that kind of trouble, either it's a poor design, it's damaged or defective, or you're using it wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been using it for several yrs. Its a Bontrager floor pump with guage. Maybe a little squart of lube in the end might help. What are some good floor pumps that i could look at ?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
The best way I've found not to hit my knuckles on anything when pulling the chuck out is to not PULL the chuck out. Instead, PUSH it out with your thumbs.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Silca Presta Chuck
This will turn any decent pump into an excellent one. Cut the old chuck off and put this one on with a hose clamp.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The presta chuck on my old floor pump is bad so I just screw a presta to schrader adapter onto my presta valve and use the schrader chuck on my floor pump. The adapter only costs about $1.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just recently I bought a Lezyne floor pump with a screw on head. Slightly more effort to put it on and off than the push on type but works very well, seems to seal better. I also found that if the valve stems were the threaded type that over time they would sort of tear the inner of the valve head and make it less reliable.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Silca Presta Chuck...

That thing can be beeoch to get off it you don't/can't let the pressure out of the hose first. The head that I've like the best among the many I've used (including the Silca which I still use regularly) is the Topeak Twin Head.

I have a compressor with chuck, but for routine checking, inflating and topping off of tires I use a floor pump.

And yes; push the chuck off rather than pull it off.

·
Registered
942 Posts
That thing can be beeoch to get off it you don't/can't let the pressure out of the hose first.
This is true, IF you use it on threaded presta stems, AND you push it on too far.
It works best with smooth presta stems. Use something else for threaded presta, agreed.

I put a small amount of NAPA Sil-glyde on the inside of the chuck to lubricate it. Small meaning a 2mm drop on the end of a straightened paper clip, then run around the inside of the rubber gasket. Every month or so when used daily. Sil-glyde won't hurt rubber gaskets or tubes, it's made to be used on rubber parts in brake systems.
Every NAPA store carries it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would be remiss not to mention this one as well - the Hirame Presta pump head, which apparently is the ultimate presta head, for $67. Read the reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/KUWAHARA-HIRAME-Pump-Head-Yoko/dp/B003EIIXSG

The presta head I use is a brass silca, bought in 1975. It's used a lot, has an old brass patina and is nicked, and still works great. Point is, the good ones can last a lifetime. I've had really poor luck with plastic presta pump heads, but maybe I haven't used the right one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.