Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at a Miyata 710 circa mid 80s with Suntour components for my wife and I was wondering if this is a good bike. It seems to be in fairly good shape with very few rust spots and paint has small nicks and scratches but overall in good shape. I would also like to know how much I should be paying for this bike. Is $150 reasonable or too high? Input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Good deal if wife likes it and it fits

sungchang said:
I'm currently looking at a Miyata 710 circa mid 80s with Suntour components for my wife and I was wondering if this is a good bike. It seems to be in fairly good shape with very few rust spots and paint has small nicks and scratches but overall in good shape. I would also like to know how much I should be paying for this bike. Is $150 reasonable or too high? Input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The Miyata 710 was a pretty nice bike constructed with Miyata's own high quality butted steel tubing and upper midrange components. If I could find one locally in good shape and the right size for my son, I'd pay $150 for it today. It's only a good deal if your wife really likes it and is comfortable riding it. It has no special value for collectors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reynolds531, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how my wife will like it to be honest. She's a casual rider that has been riding mountain bikes on paved paths. Since I got a road bike, I would like her to join me, but not sure how she's going to adapt/like road bikes in general. One thing I noticed on the 710 is that it has double crankset. Is it possible to upgrade to triple (say Shimano 105)? If yes, what else is involved in switching over to triple?

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Quite a bit of work and money

sungchang said:
Reynolds531, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how my wife will like it to be honest. She's a casual rider that has been riding mountain bikes on paved paths. Since I got a road bike, I would like her to join me, but not sure how she's going to adapt/like road bikes in general. One thing I noticed on the 710 is that it has double crankset. Is it possible to upgrade to triple (say Shimano 105)? If yes, what else is involved in switching over to triple?
To switch from a double to a triple requires a new crankset, bottom bracket, and both derailleurs. You'd probably be better off looking for a used bike with a triple.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reynolds531 said:
You could keep the doulbe and install a wide range 7 speed freewheel (14-34),a new rear derailleur, and a new chain. It's pretty easy and would be less than $100 if you do it yourself.
Do you have specific component names that I should look out for. I'm not too familiar with 7 speed stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.