Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this site and was looking for information/advice. I purchased a Marinoni Leggero yesterday at a garage sale, it was all boxed up and I couldn't resist...it has Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed, with a Campagnolo Chorus double up front, and Capagnolo Athena Brakes, with a Carbon Fork and Mavic Ceramic Open Pro Wheelset. The Frame reads Columbus "EL". The frame has wear from the brake cables and several chips and one scratch...but appears never to have been down. The wheels spin true....and hard to believe but seem smoother that my 2006 Lemond (which I love).

I am unsure of the size and year of the bike. I'm having trouble posting photos to this post, but i would email them out.

I have a 2006 Lemond Reno 59cm, which I use mainly to get into shape, and may continue to use in Sprint Triathlons. The wife says one has to go...what do you think?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I assume you are the original owner of the Lemond, meaning your frame is covered by a lifetime warranty - never a bad thing. I also assume you got the Marinoni for a wicked deal. I live in Montreal and have been to Marinoni's shop - they are some serious, professional all in-house folks with a solid reputation. The Quebec Cup peloton is a Marinoni trade show. You'd be crazy to sell it - but you could get a nice chunk of change for it. The main diff: the Reno is a recreational road bike, while your Marinoni is a pedigree racing bike (sounds like a sweet package too), probably from a recent era in which steel was still being raced: it will outclass your Lemond by a factor of ten in its high speed handling with its short wheel base and its remarkably tight rear triangle. Columbus EL (extra light) is Nivacrom, so your frame is probably mid-late nineties. I ride a nivacrom frame and it is sweet! Stiff in climbs and chatter free on rough descents. Have the frame inspected by a shop for stress marks, etc, and if they give it a green light, sell the Lemond.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
More info

Another Marinoni "expert" chiming in here. I have owned several Marinoni frames over the years and currently have two in my stable including a 1995 Leggero built with lugged construction and Columbus EL/OS.

I would guesstimate that the frame was built around 1996-1999. By 1999 Marinoni had moved on to using the Foco tubesets for the high end and EL/OS was slowly replaced by Zona in the Columbus tubing lineup. But there were definitely some 1999 frames built with EL/OS. I cannot tell from the pictures, is the frame built with lugs at the head tube and seat cluster? If so, it is likely pre-1997 and if it is TIG-welded at the head tube and seat cluster then it is likely newer than 1997.

The size looks to be 56-57 cm. You can measure from the center of the BB to the center of the top tube to confirm. Assuming this frame was not built with custom geometry - a big assumption - I can give some idea of Marinoni's stock geometry of that era. The top tube sizes (center of head tube to center of seat tube along top tube) for those bikes were 56 cm for the 56 cm frame, and 56.5 cm for the 57 cm frame. The seat tube angles were on the steep side - 74 degrees for the 56 and maybe 73.75ish for the 57. Ditto the head tube angles, probably 73.5 for either size. The chainstay length is likely pretty short, around 40.5 cm or less. That was the stock geometry of the day - pretty steep and quick yet the EL frames were not unstable or harsh. I have ridden mine on and off for 10 years and I still love the ride. It has survived a couple of nasty race crashes (the original EL fork was destroyed) and is now my winter bike, complete with fenders and flaps for the wet Pacific winters.

Now, as to whether or not you should keep it. Well, it all comes down to fit. If you ride a 59 cm Lemond and you are comfortable on it, then a 56-58 cm Marinoni is likely going to be small for you. However, if your Lemond is on the large size for you then you might be able to fit the smaller Marinoni. The Lemond has a very slack seat tube angle, and that means that if you keep the saddle in the same setback between both bikes then the Lemond's top tube is effectively shortened. For example if your Lemond has a 72.5 seat angle and a 59 cm top tube (I think) and the Marinoni has a 74 degree seat angle and a 56.5 cm top tube, and you keep the saddle in the same position relative to the BB then the effective top tube difference would about 1 cm. But probably the best place to start is to take both bikes to a reputable bike fitter and have him/her assess your fit. If the Marinoni is the better fit, keep it. If both fit you well enough, then keep the Marinoni. Otherwise stick with your Lemond.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Isn't there room in your garage for one more bike? And isn't the garage the man's domaine? Who's wearing the pants in the family anyway?:blush2:
Unless it's a money issue. You deserve a new bike, especially an almost free bike!
You already made the executive decision to buy the bike, now stand firm by it, and keep them both.
Of course they have to fit! No point in going to the mat over a bike that doesn't fit.:mad2:

READY TO RUMBLE!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Problem Solved

I have a 2006 Lemond Reno 59cm, which I use mainly to get into shape, and may continue to use in Sprint Triathlons. The wife says one has to go...what do you think?[/QUOTE]

She has to Go !

·
Registered
242 Posts
A former Marinoni owner....

maggiepug said:
I'm new to this site and was looking for information/advice. I purchased a Marinoni Leggero yesterday at a garage sale, it was all boxed up and I couldn't resist...it has Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed, with a Campagnolo Chorus double up front, and Capagnolo Athena Brakes, with a Carbon Fork and Mavic Ceramic Open Pro Wheelset. The Frame reads Columbus "EL". The frame has wear from the brake cables and several chips and one scratch...but appears never to have been down. The wheels spin true....and hard to believe but seem smoother that my 2006 Lemond (which I love).

I am unsure of the size and year of the bike. I'm having trouble posting photos to this post, but i would email them out.

I have a 2006 Lemond Reno 59cm, which I use mainly to get into shape, and may continue to use in Sprint Triathlons. The wife says one has to go...what do you think?
In 1999, I had a custom Leggero built out of Columbus EL/OS, but with a Dedacci Mega down tube (i.e. larger than what was available in EL/OS). I had it built with Campy chorus and record. Unfortunately, I don't own it anymore. I sold it a few years ago due some low back issues that I traced to being improperly sized (i.e. too long of a top tube).

Other than the sizing issue, I really liked the bike and miss it. It had a wonderful ride and was a very nice bike.

For what it's worth, the custom sized and painted frame/fork was about $1200 USD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.