Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a TriSpoke carbon wheel (not the old Specialized Trispoke-now-HED 3, but an actual "TriSpoke" brand wheel). It looks more like the old Spin trispoke, with double concave spokes rather than the straight-sided carbon spokes of the HED/Specialized, which I also have. I'm curious if anyone knows much about the wheel; it's a rear, freewheel type, and I was wondering if there's any chance the axles will interchange with my HEDs, for which I already have front, rear QR, and rear track axles. Anyone know? Are the TriSpokes an older or newer version of the Spin wheels, or just coincidentally similar in shape?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
I have an older Specialized Tri spoke that I bought, 2nd hand more than a few years ago. I got it dirt cheap because it was set up for a rear freewheel. I looked all over for an front axle kit, but couldn't fine one, so I took the rear axle and cut it to the correct length for a front, and ground down the OD of the axle (where needed) to fit a front drop out. I've got a grinding wheel in my garage, so it wasn't a big deal. (I guess you could use a file, but it might take an hour to do the same thing)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HED 3 is the same as Specialized...

MR_GRUMPY said:
I have an older Specialized Tri spoke that I bought, 2nd hand more than a few years ago. I got it dirt cheap because it was set up for a rear freewheel. I looked all over for an front axle kit, but couldn't fine one, so I took the rear axle and cut it to the correct length for a front, and ground down the OD of the axle (where needed) to fit a front drop out. I've got a grinding wheel in my garage, so it wasn't a big deal. (I guess you could use a file, but it might take an hour to do the same thing)
I guess you found a solution, but the axles for your Specialized wheel are available from HED. They purchased the technology from Specialized and parts are interchangeable between the HED 3 and the Specialized trispoke. I have two of the Specialized wheels, both with freewheel threads, and I have track, QR front, and QR rear axles for them. I bought the front and track rear axles direct from HED. I'm hoping they'll fit my TriSpoke brand wheel, but if not, thanks for the tip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts