Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried removing the web address on the inner side of the chainstay with wet paper, both 600 and 400 grits. Although removable, I found it couldn't be done without also removing an unacceptible amount of the finish coat. The red lettering appears to be a painted stencil rather than a decal. It certainly did not come off as one might expect of a decal, but instead behaved like a painted surface. As sanding proceeded, the red got fainter until gone but I suspect the paint layer below is but a few mils thick. I don't think its doable by hand, not enough pressure and penetration control to protect the finish coat. Guess I live with the red.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
mainframe said:
Tried removing the web address on the inner side of the chainstay with wet paper, both 600 and 400 grits. Although removable, I found it couldn't be done without also removing an unacceptible amount of the finish coat. The red lettering appears to be a painted stencil rather than a decal. It certainly did not come off as one might expect of a decal, but instead behaved like a painted surface. As sanding proceeded, the red got fainter until gone but I suspect the paint layer below is but a few mils thick. I don't think its doable by hand, not enough pressure and penetration control to protect the finish coat. Guess I live with the red.
Can you see primer? That's interesting about the painted on stencil. I have pictures from the factory that shows them applying decals. Maybe they changed their method...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Can you see primer? That's interesting about the painted on stencil. I have pictures from the factory that shows them applying decals. Maybe they changed their method...

I could see the finish coat was wearing away, the area over which I was sanding began taking on slightly dark hue, no doubt the primer was beginning to come visible. At that juncture I stopped. Being an old hand at auto paint touchup, I knew where this was going. I really cannot say for sure on the decal issue, but whether painted or pasted, it leaves me in the same place. Short of coming up with suitably matching spray paint, I'm a website billboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts