Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a Connex link on my chain and it has been making noise ever since I first put it on. Tried turning it around and still makes a noise and you can even feel it in the pedals. I confirmed that it is the correct one (5.9) and decided to quit messing with it and get a new chain.
My question is: Does the new chain come with the HD link or do I still need to buy the link. My prior chain did not come with the link. Any suggestions on install will be appreciated. Thanks.

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I just installed a new Record chain with a Connex connector on my bike and I found the Connex link to not sit right. It bound the chain and would not go through the derailleur, over the chainrings, over the cassette without noise and some weirdness. I put the Connex link into my chain tool and seated the offending pin and it worked fine afterwards.

To answer your question, the Record chain comes with a link and an installation tool that you are supposed to use to connect the chain together.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
too late now...

The connex link that best fits the Campy UN chain should be marked 10S1, The one that fits the wider orginal model is marked 10 SPEED. There is no reason that the link should not work perfectly if it's installed in the correct direction (unless it is somehow defective). The proper direction will have the slotted end of the outer plate on the right side of the bike, facing toward the back of the bike on the lower section of chain between the crank and RD. There are instruction included with the link explaining this.

As for the HD-L pin (it's not a link), it always comes with the chain, but it comes in a very small plastic bag and would be easy to lose. It must be installed in the end of the chain with unused holes in the outer plates. These holes have a zip tie through them and a note of instruction attached to the zip tie. Since these outer plates are no longer on the chain, the only Campy approved fix is the purchase and installation of a splicing section that costs about half as much as a new chain.

I would try another 10S1 connex link or SRAM 10 powerlock to join a UN chain. Either is cheaper than the Campy splice.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go ahead and order a new link with the new chain and try to see if it makes a difference, hate to waste a chain. I plan on using a CT-3 to install the new chain. Should this work alright?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

KM1.8T said:
I will go ahead and order a new link with the new chain and try to see if it makes a difference, hate to waste a chain. I plan on using a CT-3 to install the new chain. Should this work alright?
Be sure the link that you order is listed as Shimano compatible (the 10S1), not Campy compatible.

The Park tool will work, but be sure that the drive pin is in good shape. Install the pin from the left side, per the instructions, and press down firmly on the chain as the pin is being installed - there is a tendency for the chain to lift up, which will foul up the installation. This is covered in detail on the Park Tool website.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

· Registered
188 Posts
KM1.8T said:
Should I degrease the new chain and use the Prolink lube or run it a while with the lube that comes on the chain. That stuff is sticky and attracts dirt.
Thanks for your help.
Run it with the included lubricant for a few miles, then degrease and re-lubricate.

The word from Vicenza is that not only is it a packaging grease, but a metal conditioner.

· Registered
660 Posts
Another option: Lickton Superlink for 5.9mm

I use Campy on all my bikes and had been using the Connex 10 connector but when I switched over to the Ultra narrow 5.9mm campy chains I had issues w/ connex campy connector as c-40 says. So I bought a few of Lickton's house sourced connectors specifically designed for Campy 5.9 mm chains and at $6.95 you can't beat them. One caveat: They are much harder to install than Connex. You really have to lube them a lot and work the links onto the connector... once on they are flush with the other links and work great.

Nik (no affiliation)

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0337-59'

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will run the new chain when I get it and get a link from Lickton. I did buy the groupo from them with the same connector but maybe I received a defective link.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Installed the new chain with the CT-3 without a problem and all is quiet now. It may be me but the Record chain appears to be quieter than the Chorus that was removed. Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.