Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
get a Brother - the ink is inexpensive, just turn it off when not in use. all inkjets prime when on and they suck up your expensive ink.

·
Registered
663 Posts
+11ty for the laser.

It can be a bit painful to hand over the cash for a new cartridge, but try to focus on printing cost per page rather than toner/ink cartridge cost.

Also, if you do end up going the inkjet route, Kodak seems to be marketing their printers based on lower ink costs. Again, check out cost per page, but this might be worth looking into. YMMV, no personal experience with Kodak, etc.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,799 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
I'd go laser.
This.

Inkjets that are cheap eat ink...and the cheap ones are slow as snot.

I needed a printer quick, so on Black Friday, I bought an inkjet from WorstBuy for $20. Damn POS printed about 1 page/minute in real life (versus the ads)...and burned through a $30 black cart after 30 pages.

"Cheap" inkjets hide the expense in the future cost of ink carts that cost more than the printer.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,750 Posts
Marc said:
I needed a printer quick, so on Black Friday, I bought an inkjet from WorstBuy for $20. Damn POS printed about 1 page/minute in real life (versus the ads)...and burned through a $30 black cart after 30 pages.
I think my best and worst printers came from Black Friday deals....worst was a $20 Lexmark Z11, best was the $40 refurb HP 940c. Silly thing's 10 years old and still works great. Other than needing a new color cartridge of course.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Epson printers are cheap. Then if you print a lot, go to inksupply.com and order one of the CFS systems.

I was going through tons of cartridges and spending a boatload when I would get big button orders. Heck I was printing 500 sheets at a time. The cartridges wouldn't last but a day or so. With the CFS system, I bought a pint of each color and fill the bottles about every 6-9 months. The cost of the ink is cheap. I think it's $14 for a pint of one color. One pint would fill a normal cartridge about 40 times.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
old_fuji said:
Also, why the hell is printer ink so expensive?
Actually, the ink itself isn't terribly expensive. What you're really paying for is the printhead. Consumer inkjet cartridges incorporate both the ink and the printhead. Thermal printheads contain precious metals and high technology, which makes them expensive.

Higher-end inkjet printers often have separate ink cartridges and printheads. In these printers you will typically pay $0.25-0.75 per ml for the ink. The printheads are expensive but they last many thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of prints. With consumer ink cartridges you're paying $1.50-2.50 per ml for ink because you're also replacing the printhead every time.

Summary: If you do a lot of photo printing (for example), spend the $400-500 up front for a pro-grade printer. You'll save money in the long run and get better prints.

Document printing? Get a laser.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I pulled the trigger on a HP Deskjet 1660. PRinter was $29, and ink is $13 per cartridge (black and multi-color).

I simply couldn't justify the upfront cost of a laser printer, especially for the printing I'm doing...mostly class papers with a few color graphics here and there. Honestly, the cheapest laser printer I found was on newegg, and with a $50 printer and $50 toner, it was simply out of my price range.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
filtersweep said:
Ink is normally about $8000/gallon. In my mind, that is expensive.
As I said, you're really paying for the printhead at those prices. In a printer with separate printheads you'll pay somewhere between $300-1500 per gallon. Granted, that's still pretty expensive.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts