Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "base" but inline skating is far less demanding on one's legs. (I used to work in a skate shop...) It won't do too much to help build muscle, it will keep your cardiovascular system well tuned as you can get a nice aerobic workout from it... Swimming is a better workout (not to mention the possibility of some eye candy...)

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
lexington476 said:
Anyone have any idea how doing indoor inline speed skating works on base miles?
I just got back from an hour of speed skating. Speed skating used to be my sport of choice until I switched to cycling 7 years ago. IMHO, it's great for cardio work but it used completely different muscles than cycling. I use it now when it's too cold to ride. It's easier on the knees running. I still enjoy skating but I prefer cycling much more

·
Lactic Acid Life
11 Posts
inline skating is far less demanding on one's legs.
Far less? I beg to differ. What else supports your weight? Not a seat or handlebars. I found that after three years of outdoor speedskating, I was able to have a tremendous leg-up when I started cycling. On local rides, it was not too difficult to work my way up to the faster ranks of cyclists. How do you think Connie Carpenter got her gold medal? Eric Heiden? True, these are gifted athletes, but what I'm saying is that the muscle groups used are VERY similar. I can ride a century (average 20 mph) and the impact is nothing like a fast 40 miler, averaging 15 mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who cares if it works

I personally dont want to be seen "fruit booting" around town. Their are pleanty of other ways to stay in shape yo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Inline skating vs. inline speedskating

RemingtonShowdown said:
Not sure what you mean by "base" but inline skating is far less demanding on one's legs. (I used to work in a skate shop...) It won't do too much to help build muscle, it will keep your cardiovascular system well tuned as you can get a nice aerobic workout from it... Swimming is a better workout (not to mention the possibility of some eye candy...)
I think you are referring to recreational inline skating (regular rollerblading), while the original poster was asking about inline speedskating - i.e., five wheel skates with a low cut boot. Rec skating is probably a weak method of training for biking, but speedskating is quite different. It will definitely help with getting in the base - although it is still cross-training, and thus of limited use. I used to do a lot of inline speedskating, and I found making the jump to road cycling pretty easy. I did all of my skating outdoors, with straightaways, turns in both directions, and hills to make me stronger. Skating indoors only, with lots of left-hand turns, few straightaways, and no hills, is likely to limit the benefits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My mistake, I was refering to plain old skating which for all intents an purposes is worthless. True hard-core speed skating involves a tremendous ammount of weight training to bulk up the legs. It can't hurt, but unless one is willing to really devote alot of their time into the sport maximum results will not be achieved. Besides, a good pair of speed skates (carbon shell, moldable liner, top notch wheels/bearings, alloy frame) is going to run at least $500 on the cheap, bargain bin side... (most of the ones we sold were >$800) Now, I know we all could generate a long list of things to spend that money on that would go into our bikes...
Suggestion- a $50 a month gym membership for weight training, and $450 on a new set of wheels...

·
Registered
17 Posts
indoor

lexington476 said:
Anyone have any idea how doing indoor inline speed skating works on base miles?
I'm more of an inline speedskater than a biker, over the winter primarily sticking to indoor. Salt and bearings that are 1" off the ground don't mix too well...

Anyway, indoor speed is pretty specific in what muscles you use, generally high up in the quad. All your power will be coming from crossovers. You'll still be developing lots of muscles because you're supporting all your body weight as well as using them to power yourself around the track, but mebbe not specifically those you use while biking. Still a great workout though.

Outdoor speedskating, where you're covering more distance in straight lines would be better for building base miles on a bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts