Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "base" but inline skating is far less demanding on one's legs. (I used to work in a skate shop...) It won't do too much to help build muscle, it will keep your cardiovascular system well tuned as you can get a nice aerobic workout from it... Swimming is a better workout (not to mention the possibility of some eye candy...)

·
Registered
197 Posts
My mistake, I was refering to plain old skating which for all intents an purposes is worthless. True hard-core speed skating involves a tremendous ammount of weight training to bulk up the legs. It can't hurt, but unless one is willing to really devote alot of their time into the sport maximum results will not be achieved. Besides, a good pair of speed skates (carbon shell, moldable liner, top notch wheels/bearings, alloy frame) is going to run at least $500 on the cheap, bargain bin side... (most of the ones we sold were >$800) Now, I know we all could generate a long list of things to spend that money on that would go into our bikes...
Suggestion- a $50 a month gym membership for weight training, and $450 on a new set of wheels...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.