Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably made the mistake of changing too many things at once, but after deciding that I really enjoyed road biking I decided a little upgrade. So, new bike and shoes. I now have a knee pain that feels like it runs on the inside of my knee just under the cap. I looked at a knee diagram and it really doesn't seem like it is the medial collateral ligament. Could be, but it seems further in than that. Anyway, I had no problems with the old bike and shoes. I adjusted the seat fore-aft and height to match the old bike as best I could by myself. The cleats were a guess. Any ideas of what to try first? The pain starts after about 15 miles and lasts for about three days after. On the cptips website:
* cleat position too wide - foot held externally rotated (toes point out)
* excessive knee frontal plane motion
* too little pedal float

I might try the first one, I don't really know what the second one is asking, and the third seems tied with the first (to an extent). I am running SPDs with unknown float angle.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The second one means that your knee is moving side to side as you pedal. You need wedges to adjust the cant of your foot if that is the issue. I think the first step would be to adjust the cleats to allow your knee to be closer to the bike.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
munsonbw said:
I probably made the mistake of changing too many things at once, but after deciding that I really enjoyed road biking I decided a little upgrade. So, new bike and shoes. I now have a knee pain that feels like it runs on the inside of my knee just under the cap. I looked at a knee diagram and it really doesn't seem like it is the medial collateral ligament. Could be, but it seems further in than that. Anyway, I had no problems with the old bike and shoes. I adjusted the seat fore-aft and height to match the old bike as best I could by myself. The cleats were a guess. Any ideas of what to try first? The pain starts after about 15 miles and lasts for about three days after. On the cptips website:
* cleat position too wide - foot held externally rotated (toes point out)
* excessive knee frontal plane motion
* too little pedal float

I might try the first one, I don't really know what the second one is asking, and the third seems tied with the first (to an extent). I am running SPDs with unknown float angle.

Thanks,
Ben
I recently set up a new bike but used the same shoes/ (fixed) cleats/ pedals. Once I fine tuned the set up on that bike, I got new shoes/ 6 degree float cleats/ pedals - that's when the inner knee pain started. My remedy was to slowly adjust the cleats to position the heel closer in (to the cranks) which ironically moves the toes out somewhat.

You know your previous bike/ cleat setup, so I'd try to duplicate it as closely as possible. BTW, IME saddle fore/ aft doesn't affect the knees so much, but saddle height does. Measure the center bb to top of saddle of the old bike and duplicate it on the new. Remember, though, that you have to compensate for the new shoes/ pedals.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Go see a sports ortho to verify your knee is ok. The mental anguish will be relieved in a heart beat and then you can proceed without worry. If there is a condition brought on by the change, you will know what to do.

Don't read the medical sites...they can create more anxiety. Both my sports ortho and GP tell me when I see them outside of a normal visit. They tell my wife don't let him get online to "research". :)

2. A pro fitting.

3. Take the measurements from your old bike and duplicate as close as possible. Take a few short test rides and see how it feels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kuma601,

I tend to be very stubborn about seeing doctors. Your advice is surely on the safe side, but I had ridden hundreds on miles on my old bike/shoe combo with no issues at all. The first 15+ mile ride I went on is when the knee pain started. I took about two weeks off to get caught up on other interests. The next ride the pain is back. I certainly don't expect you to diagnose me, but what about my situation would lead you to think I have knee issues aside from bike fit?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ben-

Playing safe for sure. I'm not saying you have a knee issue, I'm suggesting that by knowing your knee is 100% will alleviate the worry and will get you on the direct path to a good fit. Pretty much all of us here at one time or another have had a fit issue of some sort. Some minor, others more complex. It's good news to hear the doc say "it's a strain...just rest and blah-blah." As opposed to a host of knee problems that can come from his mouth.

I wish you well in getting your fit dialed in. :)

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Sounds like spring knee to me, but that's just a best guess from the info provided.

Saddle height (changes when you change cleats/shoes/etc) and the rest of the fit is likely the culprit.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one. I just got back from a century ride with a decent amount of inner knee pain (when it bends). It started somewhat suddenly in the last 10 miles or so of the ride.

I've had no changes to my setup or bike in years, and this isn't the first long ride I've done. I'm wondering if it's due to a ramp up in riding; I usually ride about 80-100mi per week but this ride wraps up 2 weeks and 300 miles, with several MTB and BMX rides in there as well, which I don't normally get to do all that much.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and the pain will go away; I'm just wondering if there's something I ought to worry about. For now, I've got it elevated and iced, and a beer in my hand. Ought to ease the pain a bit :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.