Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Your LBS innertube price

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always amazed that shops don't have a price war for innertubes since they cost so little (just a tad less than $1 in case lots for big dealers, $1.25 for small shops).

Would you take your business to another shop to save a couple of bucks on a tube?

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally off subject......

I'd love to see you post a thoughtful review (with pic of course) of your Motobecane outlining both the strong and weak points of the thing (I am assuming you have a few thousand miles on it). It just may start a flame war but approached the right way it could really be a good thing.

· Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
I like the service,selection and people at LBS

MB1 said:
I am always amazed that shops don't have a price war for innertubes since they cost so little (just a tad less than $1 in case lots for big dealers, $1.25 for small shops).

Would you take your business to another shop to save a couple of bucks on a tube?
A1 cycles in Kirkwood, MO got a customer for life when they supplied me with a NOS bottom bracket cups and spindle for a French threaded 1971 Gitane, and charged me about $20. Yesterday I bought a Kalloy Laprade seatpost and was out the door for $13--less than I could find on the internet. I'm not going to go anywhere else to save $2 on innertubes.

· Ti me up
1,243 Posts
MB1 said:

Wouldn't take my business to another shop, but I do take it online for tubes and things like that, unless I need it quickly, or unless the shop is running a 3/$10 special. I can only assume that the "need it now" business at $5 generates enough profit to offset the people who go elsewhere. Or maybe not. Most LBSes don't have much marketing savvy.Of course, there are exceptions, but they seem to be just that - exceptions.

· Registered
339 Posts
I'm sure this post is going to upset the road cycling gods and give me bad kharma but here goes anyway...

I must be lucky as I have never had a flat on the road so I'm not even sure what I paid for the last spare tubes I bought but really who is going to go to a different shop just to buy cheaper tubes? For the amount of money it would cost you more to get to the other store than you would be saving, even on a bike the time you spend riding there when you could be doing something else would negate the savings.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man, you should never say that out loud.

jaseone said:
I'm sure this post is going to upset the road cycling gods and give me bad kharma but here goes anyway...

I must be lucky as I have never had a flat on the road ........
I know what your next ride is going to be like........

· Registered
5,844 Posts
If I could find a source for good, inexpensive inner tubes at a decent price, I would buy a bunch of them. For some reason, Michelin inner tubes have become hard to find. I prefer them because they aren't threaded (threads mess up pumps). Lots of bike shops also seem to only stock the long valve tubes more and more, which sucks if you don't have aero rims.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
MB1 said:
I'd love to see you post a thoughtful review (with pic of course) of your Motobecane outlining both the strong and weak points of the thing (I am assuming you have a few thousand miles on it). It just may start a flame war but approached the right way it could really be a good thing.
I've been giving thought to a review. It has about 8k on it right now.

At my age any flame war won't do much to change my mind. I've been lurking and following them all for some time. I had my reasons for buying like I did and I'l stand by them.

I'll probably do it this week some time... keep the pictures coming MB1!

On subject:::: Tubes aren't that big a deal. service etc. mean a lot. Loss leaders are just that. :idea:

· Registered
1,693 Posts
SkiDiver said:
along similar lines, can anyone out there recommend good threadless tubes for normal rims?

and a place to buy them online?

I've tried my local LBSs and haven't been able to find any locally.
biketiresdirect.com has kenda tubes. Long and short i believe. I have some OEM on my bike and they are good quality.

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
$5.95 to $8.95

MB1 said:

I guess my shops are expensive. I have two shops nearby - one big company store (multi locations, salesmen vs riders) and one true LBS owned/run by a local racer. I buy from #2. I just bought 4 tubes from shop #2 (Reser Cyclery & Fitness in Newport, KY) last week at $5.95 each. I don't mind paying a little more. He has what I need NOW vs waiting for an online purchase. Besides, he's done some work for me on my bikes for a good price. I've also joined in on some of his shop-organized group rides.

Would I go to another shop if they had tubes for $3.95?? I don't think so. I like supporting my small LBS though buying tubes, rim tape, Gu's, etc...though it doesn't seem like much support. I wanted to buy a wheelset from him earlier this year, but the online price won out (saved over $100).

· Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Do tubes have a limited shelf life?

If I buy tubes in bulk (say, a 10-pack), will the butyl deteriorate over time? Let's say I go through 3 a year or so. How many does it make sense to buy (assuming the cost per tube goes down some as the number rises)?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MB1 said:

I buy mine from Performance when they go on sale. Even the long stemmed ones are under $5 tube...usually 3-5 range--then I stock up so I don't have to buy for a while.

· Registered
3,083 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I buy mine from Performance when they go on sale. Even the long stemmed ones are under $5 tube...usually 3-5 range--then I stock up so I don't have to buy for a while.
I bought on the last 10 for $19.95 deal, and they actually ended up sending me 14 tubes. Given that I patch religiously, I'm figuring that this is a lifetime supply.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.