Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, just had to share this. i'm sure there has been a "craziest thing on a group ride thread," but here's a new start.

so i go to my normal saturday group ride. it's huge. there are several rides for people to choose from, and there can be 70+ people waiting around. the "A" ride attracts quite a group of characters. i'm all for being inclusive, but a lot of squirrely people go out, struggle, then get dropped. fine, they're getting better each time, right? but dodging them can be quite hard. also, it's a pretty competitive ride: a lot of attacks, people jumping for position, etc. needless to say you have to be on your toes.

well, this weekend as people mill about the parking lot, i see a group of fellas laughing and such. one of them is on a bent. i think, ha, that is pretty funny. good joke. eventually the group rolls out. we get to the first little incline (road overpass) and i start dodging people like they were depth charges. i see a gap in front of me...good, some room to move. nope! guy on a bent coming right back at me. i go around and wonder wtf. later we hit a pretty choppy bit of road. it gets rough. well, the only thing more alarming than hearing someone around you exclaim "oh sh!t" is hearing someone around and just below you yell "oh sh!t." i rode in the wind to get out of the area and a few miles down the road the group had dwindled and my buddy was no longer with us.

seriously, i figured a sect with questionable skills, some race level enthusiasm, AND a bent must be the best "training" for alert bike handling.

ps. i heard several of the group "elders" ask him to ride at the back of the group from the get go...but to no avail i guess.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I've been on a group ride that freqently has a guy on a 'bent in it. Don't like it 'cause it's not 'normal.' When I'm at 80% plus effort, I don't need that extra 'WTF is that!' before reacting.

No thanks.

You wanna group ride? Do it on something other than your 'bent!

M

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
MShaw said:
I've been on a group ride that freqently has a guy on a 'bent in it. Don't like it 'cause it's not 'normal.' When I'm at 80% plus effort, I don't need that extra 'WTF is that!' before reacting.

No thanks.

You wanna group ride? Do it on something other than your 'bent!

M
I agree. Or do group rides with bents only.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This was way back in early January, on one of those cold, cold winter training rides. We're all bundled up, ready to ride, and along come the stereotypical bent guy. Bright yellow PI windbreaker, tights, and full white beard. No big deal, not a race anyway.

So we head off. This guy is maybe 120 pounds anyway, but I'm probably one of the stronger riders in this little excursion, and he's pounding away up a hill. The rest of the pack is off the back, but I'm staying with him, because I wanted to work a little harder that particular day anyway. I eventually break him, and right after THE CHAIN COMES OFF HIS RIG. Now, picture this machine, with no chain, going up a hill, and you know how long the dam chain is on one of these things....

Anyway, he recovered and carried on, uneventfully.... I would be scared as hell even on the B group rides we have with one of those guys in there.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
There are two guys on 'bents that join a typical lunchtime hammer fest. These are "high-racer" type recumbents, with 650c wheels, and lycra-clad shaved-leg riders; typical roadies.

The only reason they annoy me is they pull the pack back to me in a HURRY if I attack, on a flat, at least. They can spin it up to 30mph and hold it there for a couple of minutes, no problem.

They don't rotate through the paceline like normal, though; it's either pulling, or at the back / side. Still, no one minds.

I can see it being disconcerting if you don't know the rider, though.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, if the dude wasn't wafting through the pack (no friggin paceline with this bunch) i'd be fine. on the side, at the back..cool. i just don't need another preposition in my cycling life..."under your left!!"

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jaseone said:
Would your opinion be any different if it was a smallish child in the group ride on a small bike that was "under your left"? It is a social group ride where I believe all are welcome it isn't a race or anything so just deal with it and enjoy yourself. ;)
reread my original post. i'm all for inclusion. but a recumbent in the middle of a large group on a very fast ride is dangerous to the other cyclists. it was even more dangerous than some of the cyclists with "questionable" skill sets (of whom i welcomed, but lamented the "white knuckle" atmosphere it can create). if a smallish child could handle his/her bike safely in a large, fast group, no i wouldn't care. in fact, i'd probably want to strike up a convo w/ him/her as i gasped for breath at a stop light (assuming they didn't drop me :) )

·
Registered
4 Posts
rocco said:
Some [email protected]$$ did the Rose Bowl ride on a bent last week. That was almost as ridiculous as the guy who did the ride wearing cargo shorts, no shirt, no helmet and head phones last month.
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!! Come up to Camarillo some thursday. If its who I think he's been ridin there for a couple years now. Amgen kit? He's ridiculous all right.

nutbag

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was out with a small bunch the other day, going up a small rise, I was following one of the slower riders at approx 10 kmph, about a bike length behind, when without warning he just unclips his foot and stops dead right in front of me:mad: :mad: I have to swerve hard to the left while letting out an expletive. Thats not good form.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Camarillo Recumbant

nutbag said:
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!! Come up to Camarillo some thursday. If its who I think he's been ridin there for a couple years now. Amgen kit? He's ridiculous all right.

nutbag

I know what you mean. I come so close every week to saying something. It's "crit. practice", but at race pace. He IS pretty fast, but I find him to be in the way ALL THE TIME!

·
Registered
4 Posts
PullThrough said:
I know what you mean. I come so close every week to saying something. It's "crit. practice", but at race pace. He IS pretty fast, but I find him to be in the way ALL THE TIME!
Seeing something out of the corner of my eye at bar level drop suddenly, only to realize its his foot is annoying. But how can he be in your way all the time when he only comes half the time and then he's off the front half the time? What he do to you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
nutbag said:
Seeing something out of the corner of my eye at bar level drop suddenly, only to realize its his foot is annoying. But how can he be in your way all the time when he only comes half the time and then he's off the front half the time? What he do to you?

By "all the time" I only mean that he's in the way on the nights he shows up. I know he wouldn't be able to maneuver quickly enough if something were to happen. He doesn't seem to really know HOW to ride in a fast moving group with a paceline situation. He's constantly passing the slow riders on the wrong side. Going fast in a straight line is one thing, taking the corners in a crit within a pack is COMPLETELY different. Not to mention the fact that now I have to be worried about my bars becoming tangled with a recumbant rider's crankset or feet. I already have to worry about some of the lines taken out there (and I realize that comes with the territory)... but the recumbant is not a good idea. Judging by the expressions on other rider's faces when they notice that he's there is enough proof that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

So let me guess... you're either the guy in the recumbant or his Amgen teammate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
PullThrough said:
By "all the time" I only mean that he's in the way on the nights he shows up. I know he wouldn't be able to maneuver quickly enough if something were to happen. He doesn't seem to really know HOW to ride in a fast moving group with a paceline situation. He's constantly passing the slow riders on the wrong side. Going fast in a straight line is one thing, taking the corners in a crit within a pack is COMPLETELY different. Not to mention the fact that now I have to be worried about my bars becoming tangled with a recumbant rider's crankset or feet. I already have to worry about some of the lines taken out there (and I realize that comes with the territory)... but the recumbant is not a good idea. Judging by the expressions on other rider's faces when they notice that he's there is enough proof that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

So let me guess... you're either the guy in the recumbant or his Amgen teammate?
Regardless of the jersey, a bunch of us were worried about him in the beginning. One of the guys knew him from before he got the weird bike. He is an ex-cat2. I don't think he can corner as tight as we can, kind of like the tandems at the bowl. We are always asking the dropped riders to stay out by the yellow line. We have all had to pass a few on the wrong side. Saying he constantly passes them on the wrong side is just bullshit. I've been in enough moves with him to know.

Camarillo is very safe in general. We have had a few incidents, but I've never seen him in one. It certainly has not gotten more dangerous with him there for me. If anything its safer when he shows this year. He tends to keep it hard and fast and strung out by going off all the time, kind of like what the tandems do on the back side at the bowl. Maybe that is the look you are seeing on peoples faces. People would not be bumping him and doing hand slings off his shoulders unless we trusted him.

If you need to say something to him, try to keep it constructive. We can all get a little nuts with all the adrenaline. Know that there are a bunch of people who don't have a problem with him. That kind of narrows the choices of who you might be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.