Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a new ritchey compact, to upgrade from my current ultegra 6500 crankset. My Ultegra one was installed by the shop when I got the bike, so I had nothing to do with the installation. Ive taken it off dozzen's of times since then, while cleaning bike ect, but that only meant loosening the bolt with a hex key/allen key and winding it off.....piece of p*ss..and then putting it on again lining up propper ect....anyway....

my Ritchey cranks have arrived here in a box next to me, with a packet of some bolts, washers, and threaded....dustcaps??? and most importantly no instructions for putting them together propper! :eek:

(1) So how the hell do these things go together? they look pretty similar to the shimano's instruc leaflet (2) is it the same kind of system yeah? cranks, bolts and washers and are they threaded dustcaps or what??

(3) Do they function the same as my old ones? (4) Do they go on (after initial installation) easily and 'quick releasely' and no need for a crank puller to get them off again?

why dont ritchey supply this kind of info!!!!!!!!!

So a special call out to those of you who've solved the mystery already

HELP!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Why not ask Ritchey?

Actually I suspect you want to do the install right away. You could go to Park tools website and get some direction on crank installs. Without seeing the crank bolts, I can't tell if they are the self extracting type. If no, then you will need the crank puller tool to do the removal. I suspect the washers are for the pedal holes. So, put the crank on the bb, bolt in the hole and tighten it down to spec. Line up the other side and repeat. Bolt on the pedals using the washer on the pedal spindle. Now if there is a solid piece that came with the set that sort of looks like a top hat, when removing the crank, you remove the bolt first and then place that gizmo in the hole where the bolt had been. It butts up against the BB and you crank down the crank puller and off comes the crank arm. I got my puller tool from Nashbar, cheap and effective when I use a 12" crescent wrench to remove.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.