Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the point of Shimano manufacturing special reinforced connector pins when you have to remove a few links from a new chain prior to installing it. I thought the premise is to provide users with a special connector pin to reduce the chances of failure through a poorly connected chain. Surely then, by virtue of the fact that you're removing links, you run the chance of creating a poor connection by breaking the chain in a place other than where the connecting pin joins the two ends. Not so?

·
rebounder
572 Posts
its not the same pin that you use each time you break it open. in fact, thats the only pin you CANT use. once you break it at a spot and put a replacement pin there, you have to pick a new spot. you can see the diff between the two: the originals are mushroomed into place.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me get this straight: every time I break the chain/take out a link I must use a Shimano connector pin to re-join the chain? Is that it?

·
Registered
616 Posts
gizzard said:
Let me get this straight: every time I break the chain/take out a link I must use a Shimano connector pin to re-join the chain? Is that it?
Sounds to me like you probably shouldn't be messing with your chain...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks oh wise, magnanimous one

Merckx '56,
Sounds to me like you have a superiority complex. I've probably changed 400-500 chains in the last 20 years the 'traditional' way. I thought I'd give the new 'recommended' method a go. That's all. Thanks for the patronisation all the same.

·
Registered
616 Posts
gizzard said:
Merckx '56,
Sounds to me like you have a superiority complex. I've probably changed 400-500 chains in the last 20 years the 'traditional' way. I thought I'd give the new 'recommended' method a go. That's all. Thanks for the patronisation all the same.
If you've changed so many chains then you should know how to do it. It hasn't changed from 8 to 9 to 10 speed for pete's sake. It's a "new recommended" 15 year old process. No superiority complex at all. Sounds to me like you are a bit too defensive...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Merckx 56,
I don't remember too many Sedis chains coming from the factory with a reinforced connector pin and a warning that not using the pin may result in failure of the chain. It's probably just me who suffers from selective memory loss and a generally overly defensive disposition. How many Sedis chains do remember having reinforced connector pins? Thought so...

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
"special sauce"

gizzard said:
Yes, that is it. As a general rule, there is rarely a reason to break a chain from the time it is installed to the time it is worn out, but if you need to do this, you either have to use the special pins or go with a removable link (Wipperman, etc.).

·
Registered
616 Posts
gizzard said:
Merckx 56,
I don't remember too many Sedis chains coming from the factory with a reinforced connector pin and a warning that not using the pin may result in failure of the chain. It's probably just me who suffers from selective memory loss and a generally overly defensive disposition. How many Sedis chains do remember having reinforced connector pins? Thought so...
So all of the 400-500 chains you have installed in your time have been Sachs/Sedis chains? You have never installed a Shimano chain until now? :confused:
I really want you working on my stuff...:rolleyes: Most GOOD mechanics know how to install any kind of chain and have the proper tools to do so.
When a chain fails, especially Shimano, it's from an installation error. I log thousands of miles a year and have broken exactly one chain, and I did not install it. Where was the failure...at the improperly installed pin.
Again, stop being so defensive...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Merckx 56,
I have installed many Shimano chains over the years, but I have never installed one using the reinforced connector pin (like you apparently do). In fact I have a drawer full of connector pins at home that I was storing on the off chance that I took the decision to one day use them. And yes I do know there difference between a nine and a ten-speed pin.
I have never had a chain break on me because I like to think that I install my chains correctly with the correct tools – unless of course Park chain breakers are incorrect tools. Advise me on this please because you apparently like to evaluate/judge right from wrong, good from bad etc.
I use this forum to ask questions, consider points of view and hopefully learn stuff. I generally do not pass judgement and I try to limit the facetiousness of my comments. Perhaps you could do the same.

·
Registered
616 Posts
gizzard said:
Merckx 56,
I have installed many Shimano chains over the years, but I have never installed one using the reinforced connector pin (like you apparently do). In fact I have a drawer full of connector pins at home that I was storing on the off chance that I took the decision to one day use them. And yes I do know there difference between a nine and a ten-speed pin.
I have never had a chain break on me because I like to think that I install my chains correctly with the correct tools – unless of course Park chain breakers are incorrect tools. Advise me on this please because you apparently like to evaluate/judge right from wrong, good from bad etc.
I use this forum to ask questions, consider points of view and hopefully learn stuff. I generally do not pass judgement and I try to limit the facetiousness of my comments. Perhaps you could do the same.
So, in fact and by your own admission, you have been installing Shimano chains incorrectly. And yes, not using the supplied pin is installing it incorrectly. Partially pushing out an existing link pin and then pushing it back in is INCORRECT. Shimano doesn't put the pin in the package as decoration. I'm not the only one that uses the correct pin in the correct fashion as you incorrectly assume.
In most cases there are no rights and wrongs, but in this case that distinction can be made pretty clearly. Defend your position all you want and attack me all you like, but not using the supplied pin is incorrect installation.

Please feel free to look at Park Tool's very own installation guide for Shimano chains...
http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

They are probably wrong too though!:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts