Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am I just screwed now? I didn't hold the chain down tight to the chain tool when using the park chain tool and the chain lifted slightly and bent the guide pin. I still have the new pin itself but the end of the guide pin is bent such that I can't get the new pin inserted. If I can find another guide pin I'm guessing its still safe to use this new pin, correct? Of course shops don't sell the guide pin (only the $25 new 7 link section of chain). What are the chances somone near Philly has a good guide pin I could borrow? :)

Thanks,
Eric

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
and much cheaper!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
problem...

Anyone who installs many Campys chains might have one, but I expect that most get tossed. I did the same thing once, but IIRC the pin started in crooked and I felt that it would never go in straight after that. I just used a master link to join the chain.

I'd just buy a SRAM 10 powerloc to join it. Other links that will fit include the Forster superlink model 4, and KMC missing link, but only the special version made for the Campy UN chain. The current wipperman connex link is sloppy fit, but will probably still work. The no-longer-made 10S1 model fits best.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cxwrench said:
don't use the pin, just go buy a wipperman link. much easier...
From all I've read on here I thought there wasn't a good reliable pin that's still available for the campy 10 speed chains. I know the 10s1 is no longer made. Can you provide a link to the wipperman link that works appropriately for a 10 speed chain?
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

ECF said:
From all I've read on here I thought there wasn't a good reliable pin that's still available for the campy 10 speed chains. I know the 10s1 is no longer made. Can you provide a link to the wipperman link that works appropriately for a 10 speed chain?
Thanks,
Eric
As I noted, the 10S1 fits. The current model marked 10 SPEED will work, but the side clearance is excessive.

I've got an 11 speed chain running a 10S1, which produces a similarly loose fit and so far it's causing no problem.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have used Shimano pins for years with zero issues. I told the LBS that it works and he admitted that he has been doing it for years also. Much easier to deal with.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
If you do not want to remove the chain after installing (for cleaning), then I would use the SRAM 10spd Powerlock. Works perfect with Campy UN chains and is super-simple to install. I have read that the Forster link is subject to premature wear and clicking, and I have a hard time sourcing the KMC UN-specific link.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Buy a Chain

ECF said:
What are the chances somone near Philly has a good guide pin I could borrow?
Buy another chain. Use the guide pin from chain #2 for the install of your current pin in chain #1. Then put the guide pin back in the package with chain #2 for future use next time you need to change chains. Only drawback with this is the Campy chains last forever so it may be a while before you need to install chain #2.

If you can wait a few days I may have a guide pin floating around the bottom of my tool chest. Shoot me a PM with your snail mail address and I will poke around in the depths.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went and picked up a SRAM powerlink at my local performance. Now the question becomes, do I take off the untouched Campy outer link in order to install the new link? Campy makes it seem that this link is somehow different than the other ones. Is that just because its not had any pins pushed through it yet? If this works I'll be able to get closer to finishing my build by this weekend. WooHoo.

Eric

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Cherry Popping

ECF said:
Campy makes it seem that this link is somehow different than the other ones. Is that just because its not had any pins pushed through it yet?
I believe that is the idea behind having the link plate tagged so that you push the pin through a virgin hole. That is probably why they want you to buy the $25 dollar repair kit with a half dozen links and new, virgin holes.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
well...

This seems kind of obvious, since at some point you need two pairs of inner plates for the master link to mate with. You can't leave those outer plates on an use a master link. The special outer plates have virgin holes in the exposed end (never had a pin pushed through them). Just be sure to get the chain length correct the first time. You can't make it any longer after it's been broken apart.

Do you need details on the little/little method of setting chain length?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I got the sram powerlock installed last night and was able to get the gears adjusted roughly. I did get the chain length to work properly. I went with the big/big method because its a triple and I've found that to work better in the past. In either event the chain length seems to be fine since I'm using a medium cage RD. Now all I need to do is get my new seat and wrap the bars and she's ready for a shake-down ride. Pics to come only when she's finished.
Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts