Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following directions on installing new fd, directions say to move to the largest rear cog but for some reason my rd wont stay in the largest cog. When I release the shift lever it drops down one. Which limit screw do I turn and what way?

Its sram rival if that makes a difference.

Thanx

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried adjusting the low limit screw by backing it out, but no help. I haven't ridden the bike all winter and just replaced the fd cable since im putting on a new fd. Could my shifter be broke?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Tried adjusting the low limit screw by backing it out, but no help. I haven't ridden the bike all winter and just replaced the fd cable since im putting on a new fd. Could my shifter be broke?
Most likely you need to tweak the barrel adjuster. Give it 1/2 turn counterclockwise and see if that helps. On most RDs you can look at where the limit screw touches a stop to see if it is the "limiting" factor. Double check you limit screw in case you have now got it set so that it will allow the derailleur to go into the spokes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Following directions on installing new fd, directions say to move to the largest rear cog but for some reason my rd wont stay in the largest cog. When I release the shift lever it drops down one. Which limit screw do I turn and what way?

Its sram rival if that makes a difference.

Thanx
You can also just shift it as best you can, and then just push the chain onto the largest cog with a finger. So long as the chain is on the cog enough to follow the correct chainline you can get the FD adjusted. You might as well fix up the rear derailleur while you're at it, just get SRAM's install manual off their website, in which case you'd do the rear first then the front.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rd cable wasn't fully seated in the shifter. Unscrewed the cable anchor bolt on rd, pulled the cable tight, checked to make sure it was seated, tightened back up, adjuster the barrel adjuster, and it was fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.