Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first bike, a giant OCR. I am having some trouble getting the shimano SPD-SL pedals I just bought on to the Truvativ GXP crank. The threads go in a turn or two then get very difficult to turn. These should have the same thread size correct? Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
you do know that each side is threaded differently? left pedal is a LH thread, Right pedal is a normal RH thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shimano pedals are marked on the wrench flats with a R or L. R for the right side that'a the drive side, L for the left the left pedal is left hand treaded.
Yep, I realize they are threaded differently. I just am not sure if the thread size is standard throughout. I have a feeling my threads are stripped. but wanted to make sure it wasn't something else

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yep, I realize they are threaded differently. I just am not sure if the thread size is standard throughout. I have a feeling my threads are stripped. but wanted to make sure it wasn't something else
The threads are standard. You may have gotten them cross-threaded and messed up the cranks. Put lots of grease on the threads and try again, carefully making sure they're going in properly. If you have messed up some threads, sometimes you can fix them (if the damage isn't too bad) by threading the pedal in from the wrong side to clean up the damaged area. Again, use grease and go carefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I was able to get the right in no problem, the left was a little tough at first. I think there was a burr on the threads or something. Now I just need to air up the tires!

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
If you have managed to bung up the threads (are both pedals behaving the same?) put a lot of grease on the pedal threads and in the crank pedal holes and then thread the pedals in from the INSIDE of the crank arms. You will effectively be chasing the threads and hopefully will sort out the cranks.

All pedals (except kiddie bikes and really cheap department store bikes ) are 9/16 x 20 threads. There is no way you could get a standard pedal even started in the smaller 1/2" holes of cheapy cranks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you can tell a right hand thread from a left by looking at it hold the pedal in your hand with the threads pointing up if the threads slope down to the right its a left hand thread, if they slope down to the left it is right hand.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
cuz you can't tell a left road pedal from right w/o looking for the 'r' or 'l'...
Uh oh, I'm screwed! My new pedals have a hole for a hex wrench and I can't find the L or R!!! :cryin:

Hey, it's ok I got them on. No wait...I put them on the inside of the crankarm, now what do I do??? :confused:

Edit: OK I figured it out. I took that last pair back and the dealer sold me some that fit on the outside of the crankarm! Now I'm good!! :D
You'd think that they'd mark on the box whether they were inside or outside pedals; geez that would have saved me a trip!

(please don't bother responding, just going for a laugh.)

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
Hey, it's ok I got them on. No wait...I put them on the inside of the crankarm, now what do I do??? :confused:
On a positive note - think of the awesome narrow Q factor you now have! You can practically ride with your legs crossed...

Reactions: Maximus_XXIV

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
If you have managed to bung up the threads (are both pedals behaving the same?) put a lot of grease on the pedal threads and in the crank pedal holes and then thread the pedals in from the INSIDE of the crank arms. You will effectively be chasing the threads and hopefully will sort out the cranks.

All pedals (except kiddie bikes and really cheap department store bikes ) are 9/16 x 20 threads. There is no way you could get a standard pedal even started in the smaller 1/2" holes of cheapy cranks.
And stationary exercise bikes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.