Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to install the Connex link on a 2005 Campagnolo C-10 Ultra chain. Does it matter which link I break or should I put it where the chain was originally connected? If the latter, how do I identify where the original rivet went in? All the rivets are hollow and I don't see an identifying stamp as with the regular c-10 chain.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
questions

wang_chung said:
I am trying to install the Connex link on a 2005 Campagnolo C-10 Ultra chain. Does it matter which link I break or should I put it where the chain was originally connected? If the latter, how do I identify where the original rivet went in? All the rivets are hollow and I don't see an identifying stamp was with the regular c-10 chain.
Is this a chain that's already on the bike or a new chain? If its a new HD-L chain chop off the end with the special link (the end they tell you not to cut). You need both end of the chain to have an "inside" link

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just did this.

After ruining a link with a park chain tool, I went looking for a Connex link. I think that all links on your chain are the same. At least, I couldn't find the odd links like I could on my non-hollow pin chain. The Connex has two side plates, so I took off a pair of side plates and installed the connex.

Good luck. HTH.

Jim

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not all the same..

The HD-L pin should have a hole only in one end. If the pin was put in properly, from the left side, then the end of the pin without the hole should be on the right side. That is the best place to break the chain, but it probably won't hurt to break it elswhere.

With a new chain, the outer side plates with the "virgin" holes for the HD-L pin have to be removed in order for the link to be installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts