Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Seems almost impossible to believe that there could be enough oxygen suspended in the blood stream to sustain someone without standard respiration yet not cause a catastrophe in the patient too.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I read the blerb. I did not see anything credible establishing anything. No real tests, no successful use on a patient, just hope and news flash. Did I miss something ?? Sort of a global warming model type sensationalism.

How bout this.

Ya wanna strap on some lead, take a dive for 20 minutes and try it ??

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
just give them 2 shots of albuterol.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
@ Tednugent. Albuterol does not appear to be ergenic in non-asthmatic athletes.
Do some more research. Albuterol (which doesn't even require a TUE) has shown to be beneficial and enhance cycling performance for anybody that takes it.

How much? Maybe not enough, but funny how many Pros use it, and you know they wouldn't be taking anything unless they knew it was helpful.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Do some more research. Albuterol (which doesn't even require a TUE) has shown to be beneficial and enhance cycling performance for anybody that takes it.

How much? Maybe not enough, but funny how many Pros use it, and you know they wouldn't be taking anything unless they knew it was helpful.
What do you mean 'research?' Like go out and collect data? Do you do 'research?'

Can you post the data from studies? I know they "think" it works and use it. But the data I have seen from clinical studies suggests that it does not.

Do Inhaled B2-Agonists have an Ergogenic Potential in Non-Asthmatic Competitive Athletes? - Springer

wiki:

"Clinical studies show no compelling evidence that salbutamol and other β2-agonists can increase performance in healthy athletes.[10] In spite of this, salbutamol required "a declaration of Use in accordance with the International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions" under the 2010 WADA prohibited list. This requirement was relaxed when the 2011 list was published to permit the use of "salbutamol (maximum 1600 micrograms over 24 hours) and salmeterol when taken by inhalation in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommended therapeutic regimen." [11] [12]"

According to two small and limited studies, performed on eight and 16 subjects, respectively, salbutamol increases the performance even for a person without asthma.[13][

This is a bit outside my area (and to be honest, pulmonary phys is the least interesting to me)

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
... many Pros use it, and you know they wouldn't be taking anything unless they knew it was helpful.
Would these be the same Pros that don't shave the morning of a race, because of the old wives tale of the "extra energy" growing whiskers would rob from them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.