Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Integrated Headset Fit Question

I recently purchased a Scattante XRL frameset from Performance to do a winter beater build. The frame included a cheap but usable VP/Canecreek integrated headset. The head tube is smooth and free of paint but I was under the impression that integrated headsets just drop in. Although I am unable to push the bearing cups in by hand I think it could be accomplished with some slight force via rubber mallet and block of wood. I contacted Performance and they suggested putting it all together and use the headset adjustment bolt to seat the cups.

My question is should the bearing cups be a little snug fit and do I proceed with one of the above methods or is this a job for my LBS

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a cartridge bearing, yes? Definitely do not use a mallet on them as they could be permanently damaged. It could be that your headset was not properly reamed, as many manufacturers don't do so.

Its fine if the bearings fit snug, its just a matter of damaging the cartridges in installation. You can easily kill them with a mallet, you can less easily kill them with the headset adjustment bolts if the fit is TOO snug. My LBS will charges ~$30 for reaming and more for installation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some research I find that this headset is semi-integrated therefore the bearing cups will need to be pressed in. So can this be done without a dedicated bearing press and if so any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh I see what you mean. Non-integrated headset cups are press fit. You can do it with a mallet and a piece of wood if you're careful, but you can damage the cups or even the headtube. Its possible, but not something I would do to one of my own bikes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After some research I find that this headset is semi-integrated therefore the bearing cups will need to be pressed in. So can this be done without a dedicated bearing press and if so any suggestions?
I have installed headsets with a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, a couple of large washers, and a couple of nuts. It works like a headset press but you have to make sure to get the headset started straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.