Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aluminum frame with an integrated headset. I bought a Cane Creek IS-2 short (Campy style - 45/45) headset because the bearing contact area is 45/45, but the bearings won't fit, they are too large (42mm), so I need the Cane Creek style at 41mm, they are 36/45, not 45/45 which is what I need.

I am a little confused, and as I am new to this integrated headset thing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Ian

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
w98seeng said:
I have an aluminum frame with an integrated headset. I bought a Cane Creek IS-2 short (Campy style - 45/45) headset because the bearing contact area is 45/45, but the bearings won't fit, they are too large (42mm), so I need the Cane Creek style at 41mm, they are 36/45, not 45/45 which is what I need.

I am a little confused, and as I am new to this integrated headset thing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Ian
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68

TF

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I have already been there. The site doesn't help because like I said before, my headset is 41.1mm and both the bearing contact surfaces are 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, it should be a Campy style, but that is for 41.85 to 41.9mm, that's what I bought, but it's too big.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
w98seeng said:
Thanks, but I have already been there. The site doesn't help because like I said before, my headset is 41.1mm and both the bearing contact surfaces are 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, it should be a Campy style, but that is for 41.85 to 41.9mm, that's what I bought, but it's too big.
Sounds like a stadard "IS" to me.

"The "IS" system is considered the most common. The name Integrated System is not a registered trade name. The system uses the 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearings for the 1-1/8 inch steering columns use a 41mm outside diameter with a 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearing may be marked "36-45". The first number refers to the inside bearing contact with the headset race or centering cone. The second number refers to the frame contact."

TF

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TurboTurtle said:
The bearing may be marked "36-45". The first number refers to the inside bearing contact with the headset race or centering cone. The second number refers to the frame contact."

TF
This is where I made my mistake. Not reading the information properly. I did indeed need a standard IS headset.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start assembly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.