Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what this means mechanically, and I am trying to make an educated non-impulse purchase decision now between a Felt FX1, and a Kona Jake the Snake. I;ve read the posts on the FX1, and the derailleur hanger breaking, and the carbon seatpost breaking are two things that concern me too.

But The Kona does not have an integrated headset vs the Felt that does have it, this, to a newbie am I gonna notice it? Or will I only notice this when it's too late?

Also to someone who is new to a slick cross bike am I really going to notice the difference between ultegra and tiagra, or 105 components? Because the fx1 has the ultegra components out of the box, and is only 1000 USD at my local bike shop. Vs the kona that is full retail at a bike shop 75 miles away.

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
integrated headsets are for aesthetics and ease of headset installation. essentially with integrated, you don't have to press cups into the frame because they are machined into the frame. personally i don't think pressing and removing cups into/from a frame is a huge big deal and any bike shop will do it for fairly cheap.

the downside to integrated is if you mess up your cups by running your headset loose or taking a hit or or if they simply wear out through use, you have essentially messed up your frame since they are one integrated unit.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Correctly installed and maintained, I don't think there is a big advantage of one over the other (although my preference is to squeeze in a Chris King and be done with it). Both designs end up working pretty well most of the time. I'd worry more about the fit of one bike over the other.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The other question would be, is it possible to swap forks if the original was designed for an integrated headset?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
dlbcx said:
The other question would be, is it possible to swap forks if the original was designed for an integrated headset?
Yep, no problem. The differences are purely cosmetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts