Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is the reason for not going with integrated seat masts? Couldn't find an explaination in the article. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nony said:
What is the reason for not going with integrated seat masts? Couldn't find an explaination in the article. Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing. Guys at my LBS said cutting the mast on a pricey bike can be a little scary. The mast seems like a cleaner more efficient design to me.

·
Eat Fast. Die fat.
138 Posts
Intergrated Post is supposed to be for strength. Supposed to be.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
826 Posts
I suspect the fad will pass as its not been popular. I've read numerous cracking issues with Look bikes and, others too - even Trek. Its main draw is looks and, bikers are suckers for looks. I can't believe the aero benefit can be reliably measured in the real world. And, if it could produce a measurable benefit then the same could be accomplished with a cheap fairing collar that could be snapped around the post/seat tube collar - much like the fairing on aero wheels. I can't help but think some vertical compliance is accomplished via the seat post and, this flexing, even small, would play havoc with sharply oval IM design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts