Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a fork with an 'integrated' type crown be used with a normal King headset? Are the shoulders so wide that it looks really funny? Seems like my 'non-integrated' type fork (Ritchey WCS) could be wider without things looking askew.

Crown races for integrated and non-integrated headsets are the same ID, right?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Integrated vs. Non-integrated forks

SDizzle said:
Can a fork with an 'integrated' type crown be used with a normal King headset? Are the shoulders so wide that it looks really funny? Seems like my 'non-integrated' type fork (Ritchey WCS) could be wider without things looking askew.

Crown races for integrated and non-integrated headsets are the same ID, right?
Functionally, there's really no difference between an "integrated" and "non-integrated" fork. The only real difference is that the "integrated" fork is wider at the top, so that the lines visually blend in smoother with the fatter "integrated" head tubes. The steerer and crown race dimensions are the same for both types, and either type of headset will work.

Whether or not it "looks" funny probably depend on the particular fork and frame, and the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Excel Sports

Take a look at the team bike Excel Sports uses. They have a King headset with a Ritchey WCS fork with a 44mm crown shoulder that is supposed to look good with integrated or regular headsets. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Eurus+55CM&vendorCode=MERLIN&major=1&minor=35

You can go to page 8 of their online pdf catalog to see how it looks on a bike with an integrated headset, the Lapierre 999 X-Lite.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PsyDoc said:
You can go to page 8 of their online pdf catalog to see how it looks on a bike with an integrated headset, the Lapierre 999 X-Lite.
Thanks guys. I think my best bet would be to measure how the crown and headset on my WCS fork (the same that LaPierre specs) and the specified "crown area" on the fork(s) I would be considering. (...of course, I don't know why I didn't do that to begin with!)

A friend of mine is the N American sales rep for LaPierre, so maybe I'll measure the headtube on his 999 - which has an OD that's bit narrower than most - for another reference point, too. My concern only concern with aesthetics of it is having a wide "shelf" sticking out beyond the OD of the lower crown.

One last question, which Mark kind of answered. Are integrated-type forks shorter or longer A-C? I seriously doubt it, but it could make a big difference... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
fork length

SDizzle said:
One last question, which Mark kind of answered. Are integrated-type forks shorter or longer A-C? I seriously doubt it, but it could make a big difference...
Fork length is measured from the dropout slots to the crown race seat. Different models of forks may vary a bit in their length, but 700c road forks typically about 370 mm, plus or minus a few millimeters, so if you buy a new fork, it might have a slightly different length from the original fork - check with the manufacturers for the exact lengths. However, most manufacturers use the same length for both integrated and non-integrated versions - or at least every model of fork I've seen that come in both integrated and non-integrated versions, both versions were the same length.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark McM said:
...at least every model of fork I've seen that come in both integrated and non-integrated versions, both versions were the same length.
Sweet. That's what I wanted. Thanks again - S.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am using

A King headset with an Ouzo Pro Integrated fork. I bought a Douglas Precision ti frame and fork and it came with the integrated fork. No problems at all.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
So, this is true the other way 'round, right?

If I have an "integrated" headset, I can use a "normal" fork without problems?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picshooter said:
A King headset with an Ouzo Pro Integrated fork. I bought a Douglas Precision ti frame and fork and it came with the integrated fork. No problems at all.
Sorry to keep dragging this one out, but would you mind posting a pic, Mr. Picshooter? I'm just trying to get a feel for the look of the lower-race to crown junction. Thanks - S.

·
Registered
661 Posts
have a look

I questioned Colorado Cyclist and was told it was the spec'd fork.So I went ahead and used it, no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts