Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kona-Blast-19-5...ryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the frame I want to use. Auction closed on it over the weekend for only $125.00. Seller thinks they can get more than that.

Talk to me about building a SS. I know I'm gonna need a decent set of wheels, nice handlebar, brakeset and levers, saddle, so on...Limited funds, but I love the frame, mainly because I had the exact same model back several years ago, sold it, and regretted it since.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
The experts on SS mountain bike builds are over at mtbr.com in their single speed discussion board. I'd take it over there. Handlebars are one area that might be different from, say, a hardtail geared bike (check out the On One Mary bar, you may also want bar ends for climbing). Many prefer longer cranks, in the 180 range. You might want a bash ring. Lots of spendy choices on rear sprockets and setups. With vertical drops you'll need a chain tensioner, unless you're lucky and can work out the magic ratio (combination of chainstay length, front chainring, rear sprocket and maybe a half link in the chain). The Rollenlanger tensioner is good and popular. You could also use either an eccentric BB or a White Industries ENO rear hub to tension the chain instead of a chain tensioner. Tires tend to be fatter than a regular MTB because you've only got one gear for the climbs and you need good grip when you're torqueing the heck out of the bike to grunt up that last bit of the climb. You'll stand a lot more. Doesn't look like the frame is disk ready so you'll be running V's in the rear but could run a disk in the front on the Black, not a bad combo and if you want a front disk I'd recommend mechanical (Avid, but I'm running Tectro which don't get great reviews but work great for me and are inexpensive). The rest of the stuff is personal preference, including clipless pedals vs. flats and, of course, saddle. You'll be spending much less time in the saddle than even a geared mountain bike so it may not be as critical as you might think.

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Should work fine...

Those drop outs are semi vertical and should work great. You may have to try to a couple of gear combo's to get the chain tension right, but that should be no problem.

Most SS'ers prefer a 2:1 ratio, something like a 36 ring with an 18 cog or so. I personally like my 36x19. Helps me up all but the monster climbs.

The real expert help for MTB is here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

though I should warn you all of the latest discussion is all around SS 29'ers.

Really, all you need will be basic stuff if you already have the frame and fork. Some SS purists prefer a rigid fork, up to you. If you have a fork and on a budget, use what you have. Other wise, SS purists also like canti lever brakes. Good news as those can be found sometimes for free at your LBS wanting to get rid of old stuff. Hit them up for anything they may have in the old parts bin.

Any modern set of wheels will do. You will need some spacers and a single cog. Shops have them but those sets can be $30+. I used an old cassette and old spacers from other old cassettes. Again, hit up the LBS (local bike shop).

Here are a couple of converts I have made last year.

The first is an older Trek steel frame with completely vertical dropouts. After trying many gear combinations, I got lucky by using a half link on my chain and can use a 36X19.

The other is also a mountain bike, but an even older Giant with Horizantal drops so any gear combo can work. I use this mainly on the road or dirt roads around the house, so I opted for 42X16. Not too good for hard trails, but great for rolling hills.

Good luck and post some pics of your completed project.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
ashpelham said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kona-Blast-19-5...ryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the frame I want to use. Auction closed on it over the weekend for only $125.00. Seller thinks they can get more than that.

Talk to me about building a SS. I know I'm gonna need a decent set of wheels, nice handlebar, brakeset and levers, saddle, so on...Limited funds, but I love the frame, mainly because I had the exact same model back several years ago, sold it, and regretted it since.

try this for starters- http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

with vert drops, you're gonna hafta either get lucky with your gearing, use a tensioner, or build up an ENO rear wheel.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
He won't be getting any adjustment out of those dropouts. If he wants to run a magic ratio he'll just have to get lucky or maybe compromise in gearing. Personally, I think the most elegant solution with vertical drops (other than the magic ratio) is the ENO hub but it's kinda spendy and you have to build or have the wheel built for you.

I was also curious about the most common gearing used for SS mountain bikes so I did a search on MTBR and catagorized them. Now, I know that terrain and fitness play a huge role but the most common gearing was 32/18. It didn't constitute over 50% but it was the largest single catagory.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Rather than the Kona, I'd seriously consider a bike/frame made for SS. For $660 plus shipping you can have a VERY good bike. On One has their 26" Inbred on sale right now http://www.on-one.co.uk/page169.html and it's a very desireable bike. By the time you outfit that Kona you're probably going to have spent that much unless you've got a lot of the parts already lying around. The biggest benefit to a SS frame is the horizontal dropouts. They're made to allow for easy tensioning. You can switch sprockets and still have good tension. You may want to run a 16 for some trails but need an 18 for others. With an ENO or a tensioner you can do it but horizontal drops give you more options. You probably won't be able to run a magic ratio with different sprockets unless you also switch chain rings and maybe use a half link. With many frames there's no magic ratio that will work and have decent chain tension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.