Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a hybrid bike all summer. I've got a 10 mile loop that I've found I can do on a long lunch break or in the morning before work and I do that at least 3-5 times a week, with longer rides on weekends. I've never encountered any trouble with people in cars. I ride in bike lanes where I can and if I'm riding on the shoulder of the road I'm very aware of the traffic around me and stay out of it's way...

Just got my first road bike yesterday and took it on the exact same 10 mile loop I've been riding all summer with no problems. I had no less than 3 people scream at me as they passed me. One guy actually swerved his car into the bike lane as he passed me and screamed to get off the road. (he got caught up at a light right afterwards and I almost caught up with him... probably best I didn't :)).

Anyway, I honestly don't care about the yelling. It was a nice day out and I was enjoying my new ride. But it's left me wondering if there's something about a road bike that angers some drivers? Just thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'd bet you were also riding farther away from the edge of the road due to fear of running over debris and causing a flat tire, that's probably the real answer... not that you were on a road bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be I suppose. Although most of the time I was on a marked bike path. I'm not actually blaming it on the type of bike I guess... just thought it was interesting that the first day I took it out cars decided to hate me. No worries either way :)

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
You have a road bike now,. You look like a colorblind superhero when you ride. You assume the persona of arrogant roadie prick. Look up "sumg" in the dictionary and your picture is next to the definition. You can't help but put out waves of clean energy, bio-digestible, zero carbon emissions in your wake - unless you ate red meat the night before and you're outgassing propulsion elements containing methane (the evil greenhouse gas).

Seriously, take your lane and don;t me timid about it. If you act like a car where it gets busy, then they'll treat you like car.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Were you dressed in full kit and riding in the drops? Not that it makes a difference. Seems like, IMO, that some cars just hate the boy racer look. I never get yelled at when I'm in street clothes or on the MTB. As soon as the spandex goes on it all changes.

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Can't we all just get along?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts