Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the weather became more conducive to commuting in Carharts and boots. I'm in my 4th year of my electrical apprenticeship and the job I'll be working on is just under 11 miles from the house. The tools stay locked up in a gang box on the job so I don't have to carry 40# of tools.

At the moment we're working 4pm to 12:30 so I'm riding rural Wisconsin back roads in the dark. No big deal to me, the MiNewt lights up the way well and the blinkie has my rear covered. The first two nights I see a total of 5 cars and 4 of them were within 3 blocks of my house.

In the 1980's and early 90's I lived in Dallas and LA. I had no car for a few years and commuted everywhere. Work, grocery shopping, dates, races and every day events were taken care of by riding my bike. In all those years I had two run-ins where it got physical. They were those typical events were the motorists felt entitled to the whole road and I "should be up on the sidewalk." In both cases the drivers were "working class" caucasian.

In that time I rode through every part of the D/FW metroplex and the Inglewood/Culver City/Burbank triangle. In that time I was never accosted by pedestrians, gang-bangers, skin heads, blacks, hispanics or martians.

So Thurdsay evening one of the other electricians says "don't you worry about getting attacked and your bike stolen by n!ggers?"

I knew there were plenty of simple minded red-necks here in Wisconsin and in the construction trades there is an even higher concentration. But Holy Sh!t dude, shouldn't you get back under that rock you've been living under?

The rest of the crew starts in with all the epithets for all the non-whites and how they think I'm crazy for riding alone and unarmed (wtf!) in the dark.

Without calling them bigots to their faces I told them about all the miles logged vs run-ins and the ethnicities I'd encountered. Then I asked if they thought that Wisconsin minorities were more prone to crime than those in Dallas, Chicago or any other city. I also asked if they could answer why it was always white people I'd had run-ins with?

Too few brain cells, too much beer prevented them from answering.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
It's a shame

TWB8s said:
Without calling them bigots to their faces I told them about all the miles logged vs run-ins and the ethnicities I'd encountered. Then I asked if they thought that Wisconsin minorities were more prone to crime than those in Dallas, Chicago or any other city. I also asked if they could answer why it was always white people I'd had run-ins with?

Too few brain cells, too much beer prevented them from answering.
Bigotry and racism does NOT want to be confronted with facts. When you hear people (particularly conservatives) say that we are now a post-racial society and therefore don't need to have any policies or practices in that area, you just wonder how out of touch with reality they can be. :(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I come right out and tell people that I'm uncomfortable with that/those words, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use them around me. That usually doesn't stop them, especially if there's a crowd of them, but at least I've expressed my opinion.

Kerry's right when he said bigots don't like facts. A senior in one of the classes I teach made a racial statement re: how much blacks earn in relation to whites. I did a bit of research, presented it the next day in class along with hard copies of the data, and invited him to disprove it. He said no problem - I need a little time to do the research, and I'll prove that I'm right. That was almost 4 weeks ago. I ask him daily how he's doing on his rebuttal. He just mutters something about needing more time, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts