Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't really understand the trend towards putting a shock fork on a road (gravel) bike. If I wanted a mountain bike, I'd buy one.

I have been doing a ton of gravel fire roads, rail trails, etc, the last few years, and I honestly can't remember a moment where I thought.. "Dang, I wish this thing had a shock!".

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
I have- 25 mph into some washboard and some suspension would be nice. Biggest issue for me is the weight. Makes sense of you are looking for a Monster Cross sort of deal.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
I have- 25 mph into some washboard and some suspension would be nice. Biggest issue for me is the weight. Makes sense of you are looking for a Monster Cross sort of deal.
Extra weight is nice in a way, more weight planting your wheel into the surface means more traction. Only sucks when/if you shoulder the bike, or need to lift it onto a roof rack.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't get it much either. PIVOT is beautiful and hell of a bike. I went Santa Cruz but not easy decision. I love my.mtbs and if I needed a shock for my gravel ... idk...jusg d oesnt feel right. But I'm also not a big fan of full suspension on a fat bike.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Extra weight is nice in a way, more weight planting your wheel into the surface means more traction. Only sucks when/if you shoulder the bike, or need to lift it onto a roof rack.
Or ride it up a hill, or maneuver it through a tight spot, or accelerate away from your friends. :p

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ditto. High speed extended washboard sections are flat out brutal on a gravel bike, big tires or not. Of course, I wouldn't want it for the other 99% of the time. I have toyed with adding a dropper post though, that could be fun. I love them on mtbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bike makes have to try new things and invent new trends... to sell more things.

Like Specialized says: "Innovate or die"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts