Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was bidding on a Colnago CT2 until the price got rich and I folded.

Today I received a mail from a user that was essentially a forward from another user. It said "don't reply to me, deal with this other guy directly." Embedded in that was a "dear user, I have that exact frame for sale, contact me if you're interested."

His asking price was my exact penny, which was a really oddball number.

Went hunting around for the user, lots of interlinked sellers and buyers with 1 feedback report on items that ended before the auction. Most of the products were things like "Shimanooo" bicycles.

New one on me, have others seen this? Clearly it's a scam.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
terry b said:

Today I received a mail from a user that was essentially a forward from another user. It said "don't reply to me, deal with this other guy directly." Embedded in that was a "dear user, I have that exact frame for sale, contact me if you're interested."

Went hunting around for the user, lots of interlinked sellers and buyers with 1 feedback report on items that ended before the auction. Most of the products were things like "Shimanooo" bicycles.

Hi Terry,
A while back when I was outbid on a Seven Ti, I suddenly got mailed from scammers who wanted me to do the same thing as you - contact them directly. In my case, I was the second highest bidder and the scammer was offering me a "second chance" because the original winner supposedly could not follow through on the auction due to some reason or another. I called the store in Maine who was selling the Seven and spoke to my contact directly about this and wondered if this was on the up and up, to which he replied "no way!". He replied that if it was a case of second chance, he would have contacted me directly, personally, and offered me the bicycle. This may or may not be usual procedure, but nevertheless is more valid than someone sending a "Dear user" letter. People are always trying this s--t on eBay.
Be careful.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Administrator
12,951 Posts
Interesting, I will sticky this for a while so people can see this.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I talked to a shop in Conneticut....

That had the same thing happen. After their auctions ended somebody would contact 2nd highest bidder pretending to be seller but with different contact info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seven bikes seem to attract these scammers like flies to s**t

wayneanneli said:
Hi Terry,
A while back when I was outbid on a Seven Ti, I suddenly got mailed from scammers who wanted me to do the same thing as you - contact them directly. In my case, I was the second highest bidder and the scammer was offering me a "second chance" because the original winner supposedly could not follow through on the auction due to some reason or another. I called the store in Maine who was selling the Seven and spoke to my contact directly about this and wondered if this was on the up and up, to which he replied "no way!". He replied that if it was a case of second chance, he would have contacted me directly, personally, and offered me the bicycle. This may or may not be usual procedure, but nevertheless is more valid than someone sending a "Dear user" letter. People are always trying this s--t on eBay.
Be careful.
Cheers, Wayne
At latest count, I have received no less than NINE "second chance offers" on a Seven bike I bid on late last week.

I've bid on Serrotas and Moots (nothing but the best for my low-ball bids) with similar results. Usually, I was not even second-low bidder but was several places down the list.

I have forwarded them all to [email protected], with no results other than automated or pro-forma responses, including the following:
"I have reviewed your report and have taken appropriate action in
accordance with our site policies. Such action may include issuing a
warning, temporary suspension, indefinite suspension or terminating the
membership. Due to privacy concerns, I am not at liberty to discuss the
details of any action taken. I hope you understand this position and
that it assures you that your personal account history will always
remain private."

That concern for privacy is SO reassuring, except for the fact that their site security is so lax that it seems that every middle-schooler in the former Soviet Union can hack and copy their pages and then send them to my e-mail address.

At least there is one upside to all this: the first time I received one of these offers, I thought it was legit and responded to the "seller." Then I got a second offer for the same auction; when I asked the first "seller" about the second guy, he was outraged that someone would use e-bay to scam anyone, and promised to report the second guy to the "e-bay authorities." I forget if this was before or after he sent me new auction payment terms requiring a money order instead of the Paypal terms in the original auction. At least I give him credit for his better command of English than the second guy!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Be careful out there!

There is a very relevant article in today's eWeek ( http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1772523,00.asp?kc=ewnws030705dtx1k0000599 ). It's not just a few hackers doing this sort of thing, but now organized crime is getting involved. Probably the best advice for someone about to buy a high-end bike (or anything expensive for that matter) on eBay as a "second chance bidder" is that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I bid on a Litespeed Vortex last week on eBay, was not the high bidder (at least 4 or 5 from the top), but still received numerous second-chance offers, most in broken English and using either Yahoo or AOL e-mail return addresses.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
I bid on a Fondriest Top Carbon last week that was sitting there with very few bids and reserve not met - I bid $2K just to see if it would exceed the reserve. It didn't, and somehow in the last 15 minutes of the auction, the bidding went all the way up to $5700. Wow. But since then, I've gotten no less than six offers from six different e-mail addresses offering me a second-chance bid on that bike.

Another thing I've noticed is that the credential-phishing scams are getting more sophisticated. The early rounds asked you to reply via e-mail with your login info and password to verify your credentials, then I got a few with a "Reply here" button that went to an off-eBay site. The last round I got actually had a hyperlink that began with "signin.eBay.com," which would make you tend to trust it, but when I looked closely, that was just the text of the hyperlink. The actual address when I did a mouseover went off to another replica site. But someone who doesn't understand the difference between display text and the URL reference would tend to trust it.

The scams are getting more and more sophisticated.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,451 Posts
terry b said:

Terry: The same thing happended to me on a Richard Sachs frame on which I was bidding on EBay. I was in contact with the (real) purchaser because the bike was too small for him and I was in the process of paying him and getting it from the seller when I received the same type of 2nd Chance offer that you did. Obviously it was a scam because I was in contact with both the purchaser and seller.

If you have a "My eBay" set up with them, any messages from eBay or from others through eBay, will show up on the 'My Messages' section on My eBay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
eBay seller getting slammed too

Right now, I have been getting slammed by folks who want to either 1) have me cancel the auction and complete a sale offline or 2) are going to send their "shipper" to my door with a money order.

I have just about come to the conclusion that eBay is useless for higher priced items. Considering actually yanking my listing. Only 6ish more days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
not all scams.. my friend is a cheap ass, and if he is going to sell someting he looks for previous sales first and if there is a second bid for a price he likes, he messages them an offer

why? to avoide ebay fees lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing

I had an ebay listing for the a Trek madonne and this is what happened. I second chanced the second guy who just have to have the bike after the first guy backed out. I have reservations that they were together. The second guy down informs me he can't because of some hardship. I think he copied the Second Chance offer and emailed it to a guy down the list from him. That guy sent him the money overseas by western union. A lot of things seemed out of place so I was surprized the guy went through with it (different email address, wrong location, payment by Western Union, plus he actually only lives about twenty minutes from me in Atlanta). He finally emails me asking where the bike was....I'm not out a bike, but I feel bad he got taken for $1200.

Why do anything by just emails? Not one of these scammers will make a phone call. If someone wants to buy a $3000 bike I bet they can pick up the phone....!

·
Registered
42 Posts
stupid ebay scams

who hasn’t had a fake ebay email sent to them? im glad that people are posting stories and getting the word out... I also had a scam attempt, I questioned the seller about a set of wheels and they gave me an answer about the wheels and manufacturing that doesn’t even exist. you would think that if they are tying to scam they would at least know the product. nope...

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
dmar836 said:
I received a second chance offer on a vintage Trek a couple years ago. I peppered the guy with requests for more detailed pictures and info about the components. I received no responses.
A fun site to read:
http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/
I think Ebay addressed this problem by not posting bidders ID's when its over a certain dollar amount.

·
Registered
296 Posts
rlord said:
I had an ebay listing for the a Trek madonne and this is what happened. I second chanced the second guy who just have to have the bike after the first guy backed out. I have reservations that they were together. The second guy down informs me he can't because of some hardship. I think he copied the Second Chance offer and emailed it to a guy down the list from him. That guy sent him the money overseas by western union. A lot of things seemed out of place so I was surprized the guy went through with it (different email address, wrong location, payment by Western Union, plus he actually only lives about twenty minutes from me in Atlanta). He finally emails me asking where the bike was....I'm not out a bike, but I feel bad he got taken for $1200.

Why do anything by just emails? Not one of these scammers will make a phone call. If someone wants to buy a $3000 bike I bet they can pick up the phone....!
Nigerian scams... google 419 and you'll see some good top results talking about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few years ago I was outbid on an XtraCycle kit on eBay - the bidding got pretty close to list because they were in a production gap and nobody had them. The seller - a shop in Arkansas - contacted me as the second highest bidder (through eBay) and told me he had a second one in stock he'd sell me. I called him up and he sold it to me really cheap - think he was surprised to get what he did for the first one and he just wanted it out of his shop. Second chance offers aren't all scams, but most can be. I've given up on ebay for bike stuff for the most part - sticking more to the local club board and rbr/mtbr classifieds - it's just less hassle.

·
Florida Paved Trail Rider
9 Posts
I've bought and sold on eBay since 2003. Screen name is 'neonguy1956'. 300 perfect transactions. In 2010 when I bought computer software from a 100% feedback rated guy that was described as unopened/new but was opened/used, I decided its better and safer to pay more in the future and not ever buy from eBay again. I've been scamed twice, but twice is too much. For me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pharos Parcel Scam

Hello I just wanted to let everyone know there is a scam where the person post a bicycle on Craigslist. He states that he is from the states and is in the UK working for a relief organization and had to carry the bike with him. He states that he can sell the bike through a intermediary company Pharos Parcel (a legit company) but he has scammed there web page and he sends you a confirmation and ask that you wire the cash to a David Bendell. Needless to say I was scammed. I contacted the actual Pharos Parcel company and they stated that apparently this person has been doing this in Canada and has now moved to the US. He also is doing the same thing with electronics and musical equipment. DO NOT WIRE MONEY TO THIS COMPANY!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts