Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Maybe instead of snapping photos and posting it on a forum you should hang the bike up correctly, or if possible find out who owns the bike and ask them to correct it, or leave a passive aggressive sticky note on it, or try peeing around that area to mark it as yours and let others know they are not welcome.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah, not really sure what they're doing there. Looks like a thief could just QR the front wheel and steal the rest of the bike. At least in the 2nd picture, they've secured the frame.
From the looks of it (both pictures) there is another bike with nothing on the front wheel, so a thief could mix and match. On the other hand this appears to be an office setup, one would hope that one could keep locks to a minimal level.

·
I'm slow
213 Posts
Can't tell from the pictures, but maybe the fenders are too wide and prohibit the use of the wheel slot.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nope.
Not for me to deal with.
I think it is funny so I took a photo.
I dont talk to the people in my office building.
And yet you talk to strangers on the internet, to mock the people in your office building.

Oh, well; your choice.

Anyway, looks to me like it just fell down after they locked it. As for locking only the front wheel, a lot of relatively inexperienced cyclists don't think about how easy it would be to remove the wheel and steal the rest of the bike. Not uncommon to see. And in a relatively safe indoor location as this appears to be, it's not a big deal. I'm lucky enough to have a bike rack inside a garage at my workplace. I leave a U-lock there and lock the frame to the rack, but sometimes I've forgotten to lock it at all. Hasn't disappeared yet.

To us, locking up a bike is a bit of an arcane science, with many factors to consider. For many normal people, not so much.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Refresh my memory.

Who did I mock?

I merely posted a pic and an observation.

I never said anything untoward about this situation.

And there is no way way it fell down, the way the wheel is locked it would never have been on the rack. It was locked that way on purpose.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You post a picture of a co-workers poorly racked and locked bike with

"This does not compute.

At all."

Mock
transitive verb
1. to treat with contempt or ridicule

Seems to me like you are mocking a co-worker.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You post a picture of a co-workers poorly racked and locked bike with

"This does not compute.

At all."

Mock
transitive verb
1. to treat with contempt or ridicule

Seems to me like you are mocking a co-worker.
So merely positing on a situation that makes no sense at all is now deemed as mocking?

I was querying the group for postulations on the intent of the rider that locked their bike up like that.

There was actually a good response by someone saying that the fenders probably inhibited the insertion of the front wheel into the rack.

I again maintain that I never mocked anyone with these pictures. You and the other poster are reading way too much into this post.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The tone and wording of your post was mocking

You did not even ask a question so how could you be "querying the group for postulations"?

How should I have read into your post?
What were you hoping to achieve/learn/share with the group?
Was the fender post what you were really hoping for?
You wont simply ask a co-worker "why do you lock your bike like that?" but you will post a photo of it to an internet forum?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.