Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Interlock racing Designs (IRD) shimano compatable cassettes? specifically, I'm interested in trying their 10 speed compatable cassette that goes up to 28 teeth for long climbing metric rides. I'm curious how well they shift compared to a shimano and also if anyone has tried this specific gearing with a compact drive. There seems to be a lack or reviews out there on IRD.
thanks for any input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply dgsbikes! I was beginning to wonder if I would hear from anyone!
Just to confirm, you are using a compact shimano set up in front? or some other manufacturer?

Did you have to change out the rear deralieur from a short cage to a long cage. I can't really figure out from the shimano web site if that is required or not. I assume you did add a link to your chain when you put on the 28. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had a couple set ups with this cassette. Right know I use it on my cross bike with a 46x34 Ritchey crank and Shimano bar end shifters and an LX derailer. I have used it with a 50x34 Stronglight crankset and Campy Centaur shifters, Veloce derailer and a JTEK shiftmate so the Campy would shift with Shimano cassette spacing. Both setups worked great.

I have used long cage rear derailers because I had them, but if you already have a short cage derailer I would try it before buying a long cage. I had an 8spd set up on an older bike where I used a short cage Shimano 105 to shift a 11x30 cassette and it worked fine.

I started with a new chain, so I don't know how the length compared to the original length. I just did the standard measurement where you run the chain over the big chainring and largest cassette sprocket and add one link. Don't run the chain through the derailers while doing this to get the proper length. If you have a compact crank up front already you will probably have to add a link or two.

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.