Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Need some help.

Any ideas on how to thread brake cables for earo brake levers through a handlebar that has provision for internal cable routing.

And how to make sure the cable lenght is just right?

thanks

cheers

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
depends on which model

limzjun2002 said:
Hi all. Need some help.

Any ideas on how to thread brake cables for earo brake levers through a handlebar that has provision for internal cable routing.

And how to make sure the cable lenght is just right?

thanks

cheers
When I had ITMs the medod was pretty much cram the housing in and use tools to force it through the bends. As far as length put the housing at full length put the bars in place and then cut to the correct length.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Does it have built-in housing, or just holes?

If there's a path for the cable, not just holes, you can probably lube it up and shove it through. Make sure there's a clean cut on the cable (no strands sticking out; maybe even solder or super glue the last half-inch to hold it together), then poke it in one end and use pliers to jam it along a little at a time until it pops out the other.
If you just have holes, and you have to hit one from the other . . . well, that's why my Trek is a singlespeed now. I pulled the internal housing for the rear derailleur out of the chainstay and tried for two years to get it back in. Finally I said the hell with it and converted to SS. But here are some ideas people posted when I asked about it:
--Just keep poking until you hit it (that's how I wasted two years).
--Put a stiff wire through, then attach the cable to the wire and pull it through (couldn't hit the hole, which was only a frac of a millimeter bigger than the cable.
--Insert wires with loops in the ends into the tube from BOTH ends, hook them and pull them out (at least in a chainstay, the diameter was too small to maneuver. I couldn't hook up).
--Put dental floss in one end and a vacuum cleaner hose on the other and suck the floss through the hole. Tie a string to that and pull the string through. Tie the string to the cable and pull the cable through. (Couldn't suck out the floss).
Your holes may be larger, and the diameter of a handlebar is bigger than a chainstay, so one of those might work for you.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
What bars?

I use a long zip tie to thread through the back first, then run the cable into the brake lever, now attach the cable end to the zip tie and pull through. The cable length is determined after you attach the cable. Make sure your cable and housing are long enough to attach, not too long so you have loops all over, and not too tight that when you turn the handlebar the brakes lock up. Once you have the right lengths covered, simply clip the cable about 2 inches past the bolt and attach a ferule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts