Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I get up with my Orbea Ora's rear brakes after every race and try something new to fix it. This time I took the bar tape off, got some new cable housing and ran along the fram, bypassing / not using the internal cable guides.

Bingo....great brakes, at least they feel much more like a regular brakes.

Then cut the cable and rerouted using the internal routing that came from the facftory. Same weak brakes,

The problem is typical brake cable housing doesn't fit the cable guides placed inside the frames top tube.

Does brake cable housing come in a smaller dia housing?

At this point I would say screw the weight and get the better working brakes.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Bike shop can answer you about the diameter...my impression is that they're all the same, but I don't KNOW that.
Do you think the problem is that the factory routing is compressing the housing enough to affect the brakes, though? I'm inclined to doubt it, because that stuff is hard to compress. I dunno if you could force the housing through anything tight enough to make it bind on the cable. Could you be making a sharper bend, or more bends, when you route the factory way? On the only bike I've had with internal routing, I had to leave some slack to avoid a crimp where the housing came out of the tube.
FWIW, I don't think you're going to be appreciably slower with another 23 grams or whatever of weight from a cable housing. The peanut butter on your toast weighs that much.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not about the weight, its about the function. When you squeeze the lever and gauge the force put on the brake. The front brakes are like 4:1 stronger than the rear, just by feel.

When I ran/tried a single section of cable housing the feel ratio was almost the same, the rear only felt slightly weaker. Bingo thats what i was looking for. So I was thinking a single section of cable housing would solve my problem, But the cable housing doesn't fit inside the the cable guide in the frame.

Don't understand what is happening inside the frame to mess up the cable pull. My other bike has exposed cable outside on the frame those brakes feel strong.

Really bugging me, doubt I would get another bike with internal cable routing. Orbea can make the sharpest looking bike in the world, but if the brakes don't work you still dropped the ball.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.