Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wilier Cento Uno's rear brake cable is internally routed through the top tube and the rear derailleur cable through the chainstay. To assist with threading the cable is a removable plastic cable guide/sleeve (looks a bit like a straw).

My thinking, based on photos I've seen of other bikes with internal cable routing, is that the plastic cable guide/sleeves are removed once the cables have been threaded through the top tube and chainstay, which would minimise cable friction (especially for the rear derailleur). The plastic cable guide/sleeves are kept for use in future when replacing the cable (thread it back through the old cable).

The mechanic at the LBS, on the other hand, thinks that the plastic cable guide/sleeve should be left in place. The mechanic also told me that he called the bike's distributor and was told to leave the plastic cable guide/sleeve in place. This just seems wrong.

So, who's right?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
My Klein had platic tubing for the internal cables. I never noticed any excess friction.
I say leave it.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. The LBS eventually decided to remove the plastic cable guide/sleeve for the rear brake, since it interfered with the installation of the cable housing but left the guide/sleeve for the rear derailleur. So far, shifting seems ok.

here's a pic of the bike. Picked it up yesterday and went for a ride today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct

Just did my Cento Uno on Wednesday and faced the same dilemma. However, all of us at the LBS agreed that the rear brake insert is removed but the rear derailleur's stays in place to assist with cable movement. No problems with shifts afterwards - what a great bike!
Loving it so far.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did my usual hill climb ride today - that bottom bracket is unbelievably stiff and the benefit of that is quite apparent when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting.

i guess i should also say that my previous bikes were Specialized Roubaix Elite (2006 model), Pedal Force RS and ZX3 2008. The Cento Uno makes all those three bikes feel like a wet noodle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts