Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just finished a build of a Look 586 and 1st ride was today. One thing that was driving me nuts was a rattling sound when I would ride on any rough surface. I isolated the issue to the rear brake cable that is routed through the top tube. The clacking would stop when I tensioned the cable and hit the rear brake. When I let loose (and I was on rough surface), the rattling reappeared. I'm using the Nokon cable housing.
Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, has anyone resolved it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mick
View attachment 131780

View attachment 131781

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Rattling cables is one of the downsides of hidden cables. There's not a lot you can do about it. Make sure the cable is as tight as it can be without the lever being pulled - the less slack there is, the less it'll move and rattle. The only other thing you could try would be to cover the section of bare inner cable that runs inside the frame with some rubber heat shrink tubing. This won't stop it rattling, but it might make it quieter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How do you guys find the braking, same as normal rear brakes?

The rear brakes on my Ora suck, still can't figure out a solution. I get a rubbing noise when I use the brakes, trying to figure out a way to lubricate the cable that runs through the frame, silicon spray and WD40 aren't thick enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unlike adlerburg's setup going from Nokon->regular->Nokon, I'm running one continuous length of housing (DA 5mm) from lever to brake. The noise quiets down if I apply pressure to the housing as it enters the top tube -- either by pulling or pushing the housing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is the electrical tape exposed? That would suck having to see electrical tape when Look went through the painstaking effort of such a clean looking application.
I did notice that if I tension the cable, the rattling seems to disappear. While riding on rough road producing the cable rattle, I can make it cease by applying the rear brake. The rattle also ceases if I engage the rear brake lever enough to tension the cable, but not engage the brakes. I'm going to pull the cable as tight as it will go without actuating the rear brake... see if that cures it. It would make sense that it would since by me doing it manually at the lever, it seems to resolve the issue.
If that doesn't work, I was thinking of the following solution.
1- removing the cable housing from the internal route
2- fill the entire route with clear silicone
3- carefully and securely terminate and seal one end of the cable housing
4- push that end through the route until it comes out the exit hole
5- carefully and thoroughly clean all the excess silicone that was pushed out
6- remove the sealed termination on the cable housing end used to push through
7- allow the silicone to dry
8- terminate with ferrules and run the cable through the housing as I originally did.
For those not using the Nokon->normal->Nokon as I did... and just running normal housing through, this solution would be much simpler... not having to worry about the connection of the Nokon housing.
I wonder if the silicone might be harmful to the frame's finish(?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's the slapping around of the housing in the top tube. There's not enough room for the cable to rattle in the housing. I'll try the tape method first. I wonder if Chas has heard about this problem from the Look forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BFV !!!! (Bicycle Fricken Voodoo)

OK.... I'm stumped now. THE RATTLING STOPPED! After 200 miles have been put on the bike, I noticed today as I was finishing my ride that everything seemed awfully quiet. I proceeded to go down some of the roughest roads that clearly produced the rattling before... and nothing! Whisper quiet now.... with the exception of the dang blasted SRAM Red chain whirrr.
Settled in? Anyway... I don't want it back so I won't attract it back by giving it too much attention :)
Has anyone else that has experienced the issue, have it resolve itself like I did???
Thanks,
Mick

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
adlerburg said:
Brakes are perfect. In fact, using the Nokon cables for the 1st time and the brakes andshifting seem marketably smoother than ever before using standard housings.
sorry couldn't put it off anymore and now the issue has solved itself "seem marketably smoother " i think you meant markedly smoother, although that is something Nokon do market. Glad it worked out in the end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.