Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question:

My brother's old Shogun (Tange 2 double-butted, lugged frame) has been sitting for @20 years. I "acquired" it and am cleaning it up to get ready to ride. While rebuilding the bottom bracket I noticed the rusty orange dust on the inside of the tubes. Anyway to stop the corrosion or is it just a matter of time now? Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
A little bit of rust won't hurt anything. It would take many years of sitting out in the rain to seriously affect the integrity of the steel.

I would suggest cleaning where you can with rags or paper towels and WD40. You can even use an old toothbrush or a brass bristled brush to scrub out the bottom bracket. Then get a can of Weigle's Framesaver or Boeshield and treat the inside of the frame. You'll be fine.
 

· Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
vw_steggie said:
Quick question:

My brother's old Shogun (Tange 2 double-butted, lugged frame) has been sitting for @20 years. I "acquired" it and am cleaning it up to get ready to ride. While rebuilding the bottom bracket I noticed the rusty orange dust on the inside of the tubes. Anyway to stop the corrosion or is it just a matter of time now? Thanks.
That's a very nice frame. I also have an old Shogun, Tange 2 kugged frame. are the originanl components on it? Are they Shimano 600 with the Arabesqe design?

When steel oxidizes to rust, the volume of rust produced is about 30 times the volume of the steel that corroded away, so a little dusting of rust is really of no concern. If you cleant it up and use a coating of rust preventer, the frame could llast for hundreds of years
 

· Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reynolds531 said:
That's a very nice frame. I also have an old Shogun, Tange 2 kugged frame. are the originanl components on it? Are they Shimano 600 with the Arabesqe design?

I have all the original parts except the chain and bar tape. It is Shimano 600, but not sure about the style.

In the picture the non-original parts are the seat, post, wheelset and big chainring.
 

· Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
vw_steggie said:
I have all the original parts except the chain and bar tape. It is Shimano 600, but not sure about the style.

In the picture the non-original parts are the seat, post, wheelset and big chainring.

I'm quite sure that your bike is the top-of-the-line Shogun 1000. Way cool.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top