Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live here in the US (am a US and a UK citizen) now but am moving to France in 4 months. It's time for me to renew my USCF Racing license ($50 fee). I'm a cat. 4 racer. I noticed on the USCF site now allows me to do this online. I also noticed that for $125 I can get an international license. Will this international license allow me to enter amateur races in France or the UK? I assume that such is the intension, but is it that easy? The site also mentioned something about getting letters of permission....

I guess I'm asking if I can race all over western europe with this "international license." Is it as easy as that? Will I not need to apply for something in each european country with the local cycling federation.

Also, HOW long will it take to get a regular license from USCF if I register onliine?

THANKS!!!

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Word from France...

I live and race in France so perhaps I can help you out. As a Cat. 4, you *do not* want to get an international licence to race here. You will only be able to race in Elite ("National") races with that licence and you will get shelled -- fast! That is if you can even get into one of these races b/c they are invitation only events. Drop the USCF licence route as it will do precious little good here. What you want to do is get an FFC licence when you arrive or race in UFOLEP or another non FFC (FFC=French equivalent of USCF) federation. As a Cat. 4, you are looking at a " Departementale" license. The next category up (" Regionale") is roughly equiv. to USCF Cat 2-3. You will need to be affiliated with a local club to race -- that shouldn't be a problem though, there are many to choose from. Finally, be advised that racing in France is a much more "serious" (as in not laid back) affair than in the USCF (I've done both). If you are coming to the Paris region, I can hook you up with a few teams.
A+

Philippe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
question for philippe

Philippe, is there a one license that will allow me to race amateur races (races appropriate for a cat. 4) in france, italy, spain, and the UK? If so, how do i get info on applying. I'll be visitng these countries for 2-12 months at a time over the course of two years so i wonder if i can get one license instead of getting one from each countries cycling federation... thanks again!

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
European licence... not

Although Romano Prodi is a big cycling fan -- there is of yet no "European" licence. That said, perhaps some countries will accept other european licences at your level. I'll ask my team director and see if he knows.

A+

Philippe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.