Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster...

I'm quite keen to get myself an '06 Specialized Roubaix Elite but I'm a bit stuck on the local price.

One of my pet dislikes is the huge variance in price that occurs in a so called global market these days, and not just for bikes, but in this instance here's what I see: In New Zealand, I've been quoted $3999NZ by a local shop, or around $2600US for the Elite. I've seen this bike as low as $1600US in the States which is around $2400NZ. I could get the bike freighted to NZ, pay the import duty, and still save close to $1000NZ. I'm all for supporting my local stores but that's a crazy difference.

Problem is I can't locate anyone on the net in the US who stocks Specialized and will freight internationally. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
282 Posts
JimmyC said:

I'm quite keen to get myself an '06 Specialized Roubaix Elite but I'm a bit stuck on the local price.

One of my pet dislikes is the huge variance in price that occurs in a so called global market these days, and not just for bikes, but in this instance here's what I see: In New Zealand, I've been quoted $3999NZ by a local shop, or around $2600US for the Elite. I've seen this bike as low as $1600US in the States which is around $2400NZ. I could get the bike freighted to NZ, pay the import duty, and still save close to $1000NZ. I'm all for supporting my local stores but that's a crazy difference.

Problem is I can't locate anyone on the net in the US who stocks Specialized and will freight internationally. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

J.
The problem is that we are not allowed to sell Specialized bikes except from our brick&mortar stores. Shipping across my state, let alone out of the country, is forbidden by Specialized and the rest of the major brands in the US. While we all occassionally wish this were not the case, it in fact protects us from ourselves. If we were allowed, the pricing pressure would be too much for many stores, forcing many the way of the do-do (spelling) bird. Which, in turn, would likely lead to higher prices for everyone because the remaining folks would have little competition to keep them honest.

It would most assuredly reduce customer service which is all important to some of the companies.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh... actually, I just contacted the shop again and they'd made a bad mistake... the NZ rrp for the Elite is $3400NZ which is about the same as rrp of the Roubaix Comp in the US but that's getting better! :)

J.

·
Registered
498 Posts
JimmyC said:

I'm quite keen to get myself an '06 Specialized Roubaix Elite ... I've been quoted $3999NZ by a local shop, or around $2600US for the Elite. I've seen this bike as low as $1600US in the States which is around $2400NZ.
J.
http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/images/main/bikes_Specialized_road.htm

2006 Roubaix Comp - $NZ4,000
2006 Roubaix Expert - $NZ5,000
2006 Roubaix Pro - $NZ7,000

I am very interested in where I can find cheap prices for specialized bikes in general in the States, as I will be traveling through in Sept/Oct, and if I can beat these NZ prices by a reasonable margin, would like to get a road bike and maybe mountain bike.

-Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts