Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in australia. i often sell items on ebay and ship overseas, as a seller it is exactly the same process as shipping domestic but requires a customs slip (takes about 15 sec to fill out). recently i shipped a pair of radars to belgium for under $15AUD and a complete mountain bike to israel (in two massive boxes) for less than $250AUD (4 days to ship).

so, why is it that out of the US (and some places in europe eg germany) some people charge say $8 to ship a particular item but others charge $50?

for example, competitivecyclist. to purchase a jersey from them is way too expensive to bother with. but the same jersey from an independent seller in the US is cost effective.

i was always under the impression that the big companies would have great shipping deals. see PBK and CRC for example.

is it genuinely difficult to ship internationally from the US? or is there severe profit taking on the shipping? honest question, as i have never lived in the US or shipped from there.

however, many private sellers on ebay etc dont seem to have a problem shipping items at realistic prices.

note - i have no problem with paying for shipping higher than actual cost, boxes/tape/packing time all cost money. but it doesnt cost $50 in time and parts to send a bike jersey... or does it?

G

·
I think competitive does all their shipping with UPS which may be part of it, not sure who they use overseas. When I sell on ebay and ship internationally I usually use our postal service which is really not that bad at all, I have to charge a little extra but its not too much especially for items like a jersey. Those will fit in a postal service flat rate priority envelope and that only cost a few US dollars more than shipping the same thing to another state. The customs forms can also be done online for smaller items so no extra trouble there.

Oh, and the US post office will provide the majority of the shipping materials for free, in fact they deliver them right to my door at no cost to me.

G

·
Another cost that you do have to factor in on ebay is the paypal fee, if you bought something from me I have to pay a larger fee to paypal than for a US buyer because of the currency exchange, still only a few dollars but that often gets rolled into shipping cost.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Fed Ex and UPS will be much more expensive. They'll arrive sooner, but pricy. I tried to get a computer cable that I can't find in Taiwan. It is for sale online for $9.99... plus $50 shipping and handling. Ouch! Same with my baseball hat. From the Team Store it would be $12.99 plus $59 shipping and handling. Ouch! The answer is "No!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.