Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to put together a relatively simple training plan that is something I can stick to, and alter if my schedule conflicts.

I have settled on (obviously) cycling, and then rowing on a C2, and one or two days a week lifting weights.

What I am considering is progression of intervals and duration of other rides.

How should intervals progress? Assuming its cool to keep interval rides between 1.5 and 3/4 of an hour.

Can I alternate interval days and longer ride days, starting with easy intervals for a longer time and medium length distance rides? Then as interval days get more intense/shorter have longer ride days get, well, longer?

Is there a proven best way to progress intervals from a longer duration lower intensity to a shorter duration higher intensity?

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am training for off road motorcycle races that last 2-2.5 hrs. At this time I can ride around at about 75% of my fastest pace for two hours and feel decent after the race. If I push much harder I will get too tired to ride agressively towards the end of the race.

I need to be closer to 90% of my fastest speed for the entire race and I really need to be able to push harder overall. I need some more total intensity level for brief periods and I need to be able to hold higher intensities longer.

I am also working on technique but iterestingly the two aspects are seperate from each other. With better technique I could ride faster while using less energy, but with better fitness and better technique I could ride even faster longer.

Thanks

· Registered
1,334 Posts
151 said:
Is there a proven best way to progress intervals from a longer duration lower intensity to a shorter duration higher intensity?
No.

151 said:
Can I alternate interval days and longer ride days, starting with easy intervals for a longer time and medium length distance rides? Then as interval days get more intense/shorter have longer ride days get, well, longer?
Yes. But take some days off or you'll be too tired to do any meaningful work. (Just because the longer days are less intense doesn't make them "recovery days.")

I'm not clear about how much experience you've had on the bike. If you've been riding a while -- you've adapted somewhat to the demands specific to cycling -- you should try some harder, shorter intervals as well. Go hard for 3 minutes, then rest for 3. Then try hard for 4, rest for 3, or hard for 3 and rest for 2. Do these a couple times a week for several weeks, then take a break.

Shorter intervals are key to working harder. Just be sure to ease into them so you don't hurt yourself.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
151 said:
Can I alternate interval days and longer ride days, starting with easy intervals for a longer time and medium length distance rides?
Or you could mix intervals into longer days (or any day). Not that I have any information to show that's good compared to dedicating separate days to interval only and regular riding......but doing intervals in the middle of longer rides would seem to simulate real conditions (for lack of a better phrase) better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.