Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a runner most of my life and about 2.5 years ago I switched to cycling. I ran on structured programs with regular training routines, we had specific workouts on specific days.

Now switch to cycling - I just started racing and did my first races over the weekend as a CAT5 and CAT4/5, and did well. The only hard workout I do a week is the Tuesday "worlds" workout and I do quite a bit of the attacking against the CAT2/3 guys so I am decently strong rider.

I do around 180-220 miles a week depending on my schedule and besides that hard workout Tuesday the rest of the week is base mileage, most of the time at a decent pace but I do not consider them a true workout. Most of the guys around me do not talk about doing interval work or other workouts and up to now all of my workouts have been worlds or me just going out and doing a 30-40 mile ride hard.

I would like to look at adding another workout into my weekly schedule and from doing some research intervals are the thing to do. From reading I see there are VO2 max intervals (4 X 3-4 min @ 90% HR / same time rest) or there are short (max effort) intervals (6-12 X 30 sec on / 30 sec off). Based on what you read above which would benefit me the most to start out with or would doing one of them one week and the other the next week be more helpful? Also when you guys do worlds on Tuesday, is your next workout generally on a Thursday?

Thank you for your input in advance, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I would like to look at adding another workout into my weekly schedule
I don't know your age or recovery ability but a lot of cat 5's would be doing more harm that good by adding to 220 miles a week.

Again, I don't know. But you should probably look at substituting rather than adding.

I ride around 220 miles a week myself but that's just because I like to ride. If I was serious about maximizing my racing ability less would definitely be more. 220 is good for base training. For adding to speed in the middle of race season, generally not so much for cat 5 level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know your age or recovery ability but a lot of cat 5's would be doing more harm that good by adding to 220 miles a week.

Again, I don't know. But you should probably look at substituting rather than adding.

I ride around 220 miles a week myself but that's just because I like to ride. If I was serious about maximizing my racing ability less would definitely be more. 220 is good for base training. For adding to speed in the middle of race season, generally not so much for cat 5 level.
Sorry I should of said that - I am 33 years old 5'7 155 lbs, and I recovery quite quickly. Generally Monday and Friday are my days off every week. I would not add another day to my schedule but would substitute a ride for a interval workout, sorry my mistake on the phrasing of that. Some of this is for the future too, not just for this season. I planned on staying CAT5 4/5 for a year to learn and adjust to racing, develop and understand strategy, and then hopefully CAT up. My first race was a CAT5 crit and I did a solo break 10 minutes into the race and won by 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This might seem obvious...but identifying your biggest weakness(ess) should be a starting point.

i.e. Are you a good sprinter? Do you have a hard time recovering from a hard effort? Are there sections of the "worlds" ride that you struggle with? Etc.

Once you know that - you can apply the necessary training on that extra day.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I have been a runner most of my life and about 2.5 years ago I switched to cycling. I ran on structured programs with regular training routines, we had specific workouts on specific days.

Now switch to cycling - I just started racing and did my first races over the weekend as a CAT5 and CAT4/5, and did well. The only hard workout I do a week is the Tuesday "worlds" workout and I do quite a bit of the attacking against the CAT2/3 guys so I am decently strong rider.

I do around 180-220 miles a week depending on my schedule and besides that hard workout Tuesday the rest of the week is base mileage, most of the time at a decent pace but I do not consider them a true workout. Most of the guys around me do not talk about doing interval work or other workouts and up to now all of my workouts have been worlds or me just going out and doing a 30-40 mile ride hard.

I would like to look at adding another workout into my weekly schedule and from doing some research intervals are the thing to do. From reading I see there are VO2 max intervals (4 X 3-4 min @ 90% HR / same time rest) or there are short (max effort) intervals (6-12 X 30 sec on / 30 sec off). Based on what you read above which would benefit me the most to start out with or would doing one of them one week and the other the next week be more helpful? Also when you guys do worlds on Tuesday, is your next workout generally on a Thursday?

Thank you for your input in advance, greatly appreciated!
Next time you could consider posting this in the Racing, Training etc. sub forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts