Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Today I was reading an interval with the guy who coaches the riders on team Columbia. He mentioned something about some riders doing intervals that help your body learn how to clear lactic acid more quickly. My question is, what kinds of intervals are these, like the short all-out ones with little recovery? Does anyone have some examples of intervals like these, maybe workouts they like to do?
thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I guess he meant the more intervals you do, the more easily your body to learn to buffer LT build up. In short, you will get used to going hard many times. I guess by definition is your lactic level which you only truly measure them doing blood test. In terms of power output, any effort at or over 120%+ of your function threshold. Hope this makes sense. Without knowing which tools to measure your LT effort, it is pretty hard to gauge what is your LT effort. You can go as hard as you can for 5 minutes but you really don't know hard it is...

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Two types of intervals that I like to do are: 1) Sprints on a stationary bike, 30 second all out sprints with 1 minute 30 second recovery for about 10 minutes then rest. 2) hill repeats. Find a decently long hill and go up it as fast as you can in the smallest gear you can while sitting. down; wait a minute, go down and repeat. Depending on the hill you only need to do about 4 or 5 then you can go and crawl home to recover. Both of these workouts will make your legs burn and get your body used to the lactic acid buildup and get rid of it quicker for more endurance. You could do intervals with little to no recovery but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Any type of interval will do- first, do a functional threshold test. Warm up, then ride as hard as you can for 20 minutes. Take your average power output (or heart rate), and multiply by .95. This should be pretty close to your functional threshold power (FTP). Heart rate is a little bit trickier because it's not instantaneous and can drift higher than normal from a lot of things, but it's better than nothing.
Next, choose from the menu, and do a few reps of each:
20-40 min of just below FTP
10-20 min @ FTP
3-5 min over FTP

This is a little over-simplified, but if you're not interval training now, adding workouts like this in a few times a week should help you out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts