Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw a clip of one of the upcoming show...it is about a guy who at one time was a pro rider i think - at one time he went up to lance armstong and called him a dough boy his father said, that was all i caught....but i guess hes in bad shape now becouse he is going to get an intervetion by his family.....did anyone else catch when it will air?

· Registered
453 Posts
I'm not surprised. Many "normal" people think that cyclists are health nuts. It's really not true, especially in racing. Many of the people I've seen have the personality where if it's not cycling, it would be crack. Once cycling goes bad (everyone burns out at some point), it's crack - or hopefully some other less destructive hobby!

· Banned
2,241 Posts
Wow, I always wondered what happened to him. Pretty talented guy....but nuts. I do not think he and Lance were on Postal at the same time, I think he was gone after 96.

Very true Goldsbar, bike racing is one of areas of the world where having a screwed up head helps not hurts

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Intervention is too hard to watch. I saw that alcoholic chick drink herself to death. After that episode, I don't need anymore depression trips. I can live without them.

· Registered
286 Posts
This truly saddens me. My family and I couldn't believe this. I raced with Chad for many yrs. I was PMed by another RBR forum member yesterday. I hope he gets better. He was a great racer but with what sounds like a lot of problems. We feel terrible that his life could get this out of hand. Drugs sure can tear a life apart.

This is Chad and me at the Junior National Championships in 1990. I am in the pink and Chad is in the Yellow directly to the right. If I remember correctly Chad was racing for a small team as a Jr from Nor Cal called Cal Fresh.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the good news is that he did go to treatment and boy did he look different in the follow up visit, he is thinking about attending collage and has a new race bike....hopfully he will continue to get better.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
I just Googled Chad Gerlach. There is a lot of info about him on the web. Sounds like he was injured and got hooked on pain killers. Too bad. I hope things work out for him..

I will have to watch that program.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
When they say drugs will take your life. They are not saying that at some point you will die, although a probability, but of higher probability your lifes priorities will change.

I don't care how much you think you"
Love racing
Love your girlfriend
Love your Wife
Love your family
. . . even love your child.

If your one of these people who has never tried crack, and is a crack addict but don't know it yet (some say you have a disease), once you try it and get hooked. you will make crack your no.1 priority and you leave bicycle racing, your girlfriend, wife, or your children in your wake in pursuit of more crack. Your not the same person you were before . . . Your life has been taken from you . . . your still alive, but you are very different. Everything you valued before has no value.

A lot of homeless people are like this, They will tell you they thought they would never wind up like this. That's because they are the same people that looked at the addicts on TV and yelled at the TV . . . "Just stop, it's a choice stupid". . . . . Well then one day they are at a party and they think, I want to see what the big deal is . . . Just like swimming. Your either wet, or your dry. You can't swim and just be kinda wet, your either wet or dry. So if your wet, and one of these personalitys. . . . Well it's not before too long you'll be saying . . . "I can quit anythime I want to, I just don't want to".

Then it occupies and hammers your thoughts all day long, even so much that when you sleep you have dreams about doing crack. Imagine wanting to do something worse than you've ever wanted to do before in your life. It's just barks at you all day long, then at night you have dreams about it. . . . and there are only two ways to make it stop. Find more drugs, or take your own life.

I've heard this story over and over again. Same story, just different people. And that is enough for me to know. I don't want any part of it. . . . IT'S A TRAP . . . but there are a lot of people who think they can escape the trap . . . you can't . . . that's why they call it a trap. I've never tried crack, but what I've seen and heard it's one thing that goes against the old saying . . . It is better to regret something I have done, rather than regret something I haven't done.

As quirky as I am . . . I kind'a like myself just they way I am.

People will arrogantly try drugs because they have this stereotypical image of what a drug addict is in there head. It's arrogances out of ignorance. They are ignaorant to the fact this person was something else before he/she was an addict. He/she had their life taken from them.

· I want a Road Bike :)
4,121 Posts
God!!!!

my girlfriend always tell other people that "if i werent a cyclist, maybe i would be an alcoholic" (I dont drink and i dont smoke), she says this because almost every people thinks Im an athlete, and that i care about food and that stuff.. and then she goes... "" pffff, he just loves cycling, he does it for fun, thank God he has a healthy hobby, if he drank, he may be an alcoholic....""

I have heard this a lot of times.. , but dont think bad, she doesnt tell this in a bad way, she is super supportive...

· Bike Addict
273 Posts
I've watched the episode about Chad Gerlach , twice now, I thought it was that good! FYI, he was on US Postal with Lance, and he went to the Olympic training center with Lance as well. I don;t want to spoil it and tell you what went down there, but it did lead to him loosing his contract with postal.. You don;t want to mess with the man.
I find any story of someone transforming their lives very inspirational, if there getting off crack or loosing 200 pounds on Americas biggest looser.

· 2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,693 Posts
Merlin said:
I've watched the episode about Chad Gerlach , twice now, I thought it was that good! FYI, he was on US Postal with Lance, and he went to the Olympic training center with Lance as well. I don;t want to spoil it and tell you what went down there, but it did lead to him loosing his contract with postal.. You don;t want to mess with the man.
I find any story of someone transforming their lives very inspirational, if there getting off crack or loosing 200 pounds on Americas biggest looser.
Is anyone willing to tell this story? I caught the checkup story on A&E last night, had never heard of him.

Like many others have said, I have an addictive personality and that's why I stay away from cigarettes, EtOH and recreational drugs.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.