Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Sung and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a recreational mountain biker who tries to get out as much I can, and hoping to get into road riding as well. I have 3 little girls (4.5 yrs old, 2.5 yrs old and 7 mos old) which is making it quite bit challenging to get time to ride. You might be asking why a mtb rider is posting here Quite few of my friends are into road riding, and they have convinced me to give road riding a second chance.... I had tried the first time about a decade ago with a used road bike, but it didn't work out. I just prefered the more upright position of the mountain bike. Also I did not know about right sizing and fit at that time. Now that I have a little better idea (still not sure at all on road bikes - quite different beast to mountain bikes), I have tried out few different road bikes to find something that fit me well. My new bike is on the way. Once it gets here, I hope to meet up with some of you on the ACTC rides. But drop me a msg as I'm looking for local riders that would like to ride together with a slow new road rider.

Quick question: I would have prefered triple in the front (I need all the help I can get with climbs...too much excess weight on my body), but the bike that I got only comes in double. How much more difficult is on the double than triple for those tough climbs, ie. Montebello?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
30%

sungchang said:
How much more difficult is on the double than triple for those tough climbs, ie. Montebello?
Assuming a triple has a 30 tooth low-gear chain ring and a double has a 39 tooth one, then 9/30*100 = 30%.

Give what you've got a try. If you need to gear lower, change the cassette, or even install a mountain bike cassette. You might need to increae your chain length and use a mountain bike rear derailleur - get a cheap LX one. I have a triple, and sometimes use a mountain bike 32-tooth cassette for really crazy rides like the Terrible Two. Normally I use a 27 cassette.

Another suggestion: stop by a bike shop and buy a Krebs map. It shows the good cycling roads. Enjoy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
robwh9 said:
Assuming a triple has a 30 tooth low-gear chain ring and a double has a 39 tooth one, then 9/30*100 = 30%.

Give what you've got a try. If you need to gear lower, change the cassette, or even install a mountain bike cassette. You might need to increae your chain length and use a mountain bike rear derailleur - get a cheap LX one. I have a triple, and sometimes use a mountain bike 32-tooth cassette for really crazy rides like the Terrible Two. Normally I use a 27 cassette.

Another suggestion: stop by a bike shop and buy a Krebs map. It shows the good cycling roads. Enjoy.
Thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned about putting mountain bike cassette (and approriate changes that go with it). I will give double a try and see how I adjust.

I will definitely try to pick up a Krebs map.

·
Registered
493 Posts
sungchang said:
Thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned about putting mountain bike cassette (and approriate changes that go with it). I will give double a try and see how I adjust.

I will definitely try to pick up a Krebs map.
Sung, ping me at work. I can give you the once over on the road bikes as well. You never did get to try my Titus.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rensho said:
Sung, ping me at work. I can give you the once over on the road bikes as well. You never did get to try my Titus.
Will do. Maybe we can set up lunch sometime to meet up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts