Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: Iv'e been biking all my life but have been getting more serious since I retired. Now at age 57 I have a Scatante 58cm. I'm gathering parts to create a new bike with Di2 shifting. The goal is to end up at about 15 pounds for under $2650. I find that most of the parts I have bought weigh more than advertised so the original under 15 pound goal is slipping away. The bottle cages are great though, 15g ea. and just over $10 a piece.
I ride alone - affords flexibility in speed and curiosity stops. Exercise rides range from 20 to 70 mi, avg. speed over trip 14.6 to 18.2 mph. Pace depends on wind, terrain, how I feel, and road conditions.
I would like to see cassette manufactures producing a 12/32 cassette. I have no need for the 11 tooth cog. I can't drive that on the level and gravity takes me down steep inclines just fine, thank you. Even with the 50/34 compact, 175 cranks, I need the 32 or more to take me up those 15% + grades.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Hello and welcome to RBR!

I can't say I've ever seen a 12-32T cassette. There is a Shimano 12-30T 10-speed cassette available, but I'm not sure if it's available in 11-speed.

Also, how long is your inseam that you need a 175mm crank? If your inseam is less than 34", 170 or 172.5 will work for you just fine and will save your knees in the long run. It will not make any difference in your ability to climb hills.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts