1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name: Dave- RBR Fixed moderator

Job: Director of Operations in the air cargo industry

Years fixed/SS: 10+

Fixed/SS Bike(s): 2 Panasonic Keirin bikes, 1 custom Cheakas SS, 1 Specialized SS mtn bike, and 1 Swift folding fixie

How about you? Feel free to tell us as little or as much as you want

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Name: Simon

From: Berlin, Germany (although am originally from Canberra, Australia)

Years SS/Fixed: 4

SS/Fixed Bikes: Schwinn Madison 08, Cannondale Super V SS'ed (in Australia) and an Avanti flat-bar road bike SS'ed with drop bars (also in Australia).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Okay, I'll go next

Name's John. 58 years old. I live in central Connecticut for the last 18 years or so, but before that I'd spent considerable time in Washington, D.C., northern New Jersey, the S.F. Bay Area, and Reno (where I was born). Been cycling quite a bit for more than 35 years, and it's been my main form of exercise for most of that time.

I first rode a FG about 9 years ago, after getting intrigued by the concept from reading Sheldon Brown's stuff. Not wanting to invest a lot of $ (and liking to tinker), I didn't take the plunge until I found a suitable frame cheap -- a Raleigh Rampar (remember those) I found for 5$ at a garage sale. Built it up with some old leftover parts and a few new ones. I still ride it, and like it a lot.

I built a second fixie about 5 years ago, when my office re-located close enough to make regular commuting easily feasible (6 miles each way). A friend was going to toss out an old Atala city bike that had belonged to his father, dating from the early 60's. I rescued it, fixed it, switched to drop bars, and added rack and fenders to make it my winter/bad weather commuter.

I commute year-round (switching to the bus only on the snowiest days, and missing about 6 weeks most winters), almost all on one of the 2 fixies. Still enjoy the road bike for longer and hillier rides, but I do more miles on the FGs now.

I enjoy this forum a lot.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
name: Tom
years singlespeed: 10
years fixed: 6

High school teacher, car-free as of 11/08, daily bike commuter. Sorry, ladies, I'm married! Currently riding BMX cruisers: a Kappa 26" and a Fireman's Texas Cruzer 29"

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Name: Vaughn

Years fixed/SS: 4 SS/3 Fixed

Fixed/SS Bike(s): 2006 Lemond Fillmore.

Not as hairy as Dave..

Edit: Here's a photo.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Name: Eric
Fixed: 6 years- Inspired by Sheldon Brown, then started commuting fixed-- still prefer fixed unless I need studded tires (like tomorrow-- have to dig out the mtn bike). I commute all year-- but am known to drive if I have a meeting across town). My favorite fixed bike is a Schwinn Prologue conversion with a bunch of decent parts on it.

There aren't (m)any fixed gear riders around here--- unless I count the unicyclist I pass quite frequently who is heading up to the university.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Name: Chris
Years fixed/SS: 4 or 5
Fixed/SS Bike(s): Converted Trek 760 (fixed), Bianchi San Jose (fixed/free, daily driver), Voodoo Dambala (SS)

Usually just lurk in this forum.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

Name: Richard

Born in Santa Monica, CA. Now living in Orange County, CA. Spent 9 years (1993-2002) in exile in Boise, ID.

Have been at various times in my life a legislative analyst, a lobbyist, and a ski instructor. Currently I am the sales manager at an independent bicycle dealer where I have been employed for 4 1/2 years (I decided to make an honest living.)

I have been an avid cyclist and self-taught tinkerer since I tried to put drop bars on my Royce Union Sturmey-Archer 3 speed back in the '50's.

Did some racing but more of a "competitive" club rider. Dabbled in mountain biking but really I'm a dyed in the wool roadie.

Built my first fixie (a '72 Raleigh Supercourse) about two years ago for a commuter. That's presently a single-speed. Got hooked and converted a lovely Dave Moulton Fuso I lucked into. That's my "hard-core" fixie.

I still relish my geared road bikes for long, hilly rides, but I seem to be riding the Fuso a lot.

And looking forward to another "Dave Hickey Memorial Fixed Gear Ride" here in SoCal.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sure

Dave Hickey said:
We have to get together on my next trip to Hartford
pm me. I'm right downtown, at that company with the umbrella. You get to Hartford often?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
George
Los Angeles
coffee: black

Riding fixed since 1995, inspired by Bicycle Guide's review of the Ibis Scorcher. So I ordered one for myself to see what this was all about. Been hooked since. :D

Dave Hickey, Richard, Mapei, & Roadfix

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
By looking at the age of the responders so far I'd say the theory of the young fixie hipster is out the window!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Name: Anthony
Years fixed/SS: 3
Fixed/SS Bike(s):
  • Surly Karate Monkey fixie commuter
  • Misfit Psycles DiSSent mountain bike

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
Name: Lance

Job: Production Test Pilot

SS/Fixed: SS from childhood, to a SS29er MTB, to a fixed IRO group buy build up.

I'm the "portly" one next to the "hairy" one.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking of you..There was a guy that posted a homemade frame on Fixed Gear Gallery today.... It had HUGE tires....you could ride it in your neck of the woods.... Pretty cool looking...I'll try to find the link

Edit: here is the link http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008/nov/3/OlliErkkila.htm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Name: Aaron

Job: Mechanical engineer working in the nuclear power industry

Years SS/Fixed: 2 (only picked up a bike again 2 years ago)

Bikes: Gary Fisher Rig (SS), Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno (SS CX), Eighth Inch parts bin special (Fixed)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Name: Adam

SS Bike: Started SS on a Van Dessel Country Road Bob to see if I'd like SS.
Now a custom Carl Strong Ti SS cross bike.

Riding: I started riding regularly 4 years ago as a personal protest to the craziness in the world around me... oil wars, climate change, obesity, over medication, etc... basically the whole set of environmental and health issues that I feel cycling can help ameliorate. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem, right? I commute 30 miles nearly every day all year round. Cycling has given me more than I could have ever imagined...

I'm also hairier than Dave... really...

singlecross

singlecross

1 - 20 of 247 Posts