Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old Fart doin' the Single Speed thing.....

Born 1957....Been riding seriously since 1986, first on Mountain bikes, then a roadie doing the carbon fiber thing (still a roadie) then Last winter I tore my 1981 Panasonic down to bare metal, repainted, and rebuilt it as a single speed. Not a fixie though because I ride the rollers of south central PA. The bike is geared for modest hills and it is in a word FUN! Lots of new parts but running steel frame and old skool dia-compe brakes.....yes brakes!! Never understood the no brake thing!

Keep it Steel..keep it real!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! My name is Ryan and I'm 19 years old, currently attending college in California. I've ridden cheapo Wal-Mart MTB's my entire life and have never even so much as ridden on a fixie. Recently, I've moved off-campus and my commute is around 10-15 miles and my old MTB with broken gears/brakes/drivetrain just wasn't going to cut it anymore so I purchased a supposedly cheap but good single-speed off of Amazon (Takara Single-Speed). This will be my first "real" bike and I'm hoping (but not really) that I won't get addicted to this hobby!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey

I am J.J. I live in Mesa, as. I am currently riding a swee Basso single speed bike, I am trying to find out the exact model of bike I have it has been fun trying to research it..anyway hello

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all!

I'm in my late 20's and in my last year of professional school. Before moving for school, I spent some time in the Twin Cities and loved it. I began riding SS mtn bikes and decided no gears is a great way to go. I just recently bought a SS road bike and use it to ride around town...it's pretty damn fast!

I also recently completed my first cyclocross race and had a blast!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Name: Tim

Job: Factory worker

Bike: Vuelta SS

Riding: This is not my first SS bike but this is my current training/run around bike

·
Registered
19 Posts
just picked up my wabi cycles bike yesterday, it's the classic frame version. been road biking the past 3yrs and wanted to give ss a shot, so far i'm glad i did :)

thanny

btw, here's a shot of the bike (sorry for the crappy iphone pic)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hector
Chicagoland area
Got into BMX then Trails/MTBing now THIS !
Anything that keeps me out of trouble - but apparently bikes don't ( with THE WIFE )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Michael
San Jose, CA
0 years in fixed gear riding

Just finished my first fixie build over the holidays. It's a 1980 Univega Viva Sport converted with Eighthinch conversion kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stu
Belvidere Il
I'm mostly a roadie but my favorite bike is my 2008 Redline 925. I put over 2000 miles a year on it. I bought it cause it was cheap, but its been a great rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome forum with great info. I am Evan 26 years old in South Carolina Grew up mountain biking in Colorado and looking to switch a fixed gear road bike. Not to many mountain to mountain bike here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Name: Gerald
Job: Teacher

Okay, I have been bicycling since I was a kid, like most here I suspect. I recall with fondness my old single speed JC Higgins, as my folks didn't have enough money to buy a fancy three speed, like the ones the 'rich' kids had. In my late teens I graduated to motorcycles --is that swearing here? But then in my impoverished student days in Toronto, I began bicycling again. It was insane fun. For a number of years I lived in northern Canada, where bicycling didn't really seem like much of an option, for the two months without snow. About 23 years ago I moved to Ottawa, looked at the map, figured out I was 13 km from work, and thought hey, why not buy a bicycle. So for the first ten years, I wore a Trek Antelope out, then about 13 years ago I got a Peugeot hybrid. It has been a fabulous bicycle. Feeling more adventurous, two years ago I got a Surley Long Haul Trucker. It is a tank but still fun.

So why am I posting here? I have been obsessing --that is just how I roll-- about getting a fixed gear bicycle. My 28 year old son says, "No dad, you are too old, you will ruin your knees. Don't do it." Then the other day I went into the local bike shop, and the tall lanky young salesman said, "No dude, a fixie will ruin your knees."

So I scrolled through all ten pages of people's postings on this thread, and what do I see, a fair number of older 'gents' who still ride fixies. What am I missing?

Although I do not bicycle through the snow in winter --it is mostly because it would mean commuting on a 5 km stretch of road, posted at 70 kmh where traffic actually goes 80 to 90km, without a shoulder-- I do bicycle from March through to December. During the summer I bicycle everywhere I want to go, much preferring it to driving --no parking hassles, no traffic hassles, and it is fun. I also jog about twice a week, doing a routine run of either 10.25 km or 14 km. So far my knees are fine. So the moral of the story is that I am fit, though by no stretch an athlete. I love bicycling --my motto is "two wheels good, four wheels bad."

Oh yes, finally, a buddy of mine is a mad bicyclist, who has offered to help me build a fixie. So what is your collective advice. Take a pass, or jump in? Or am in de Nile?

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gerald, I recommend that you get or build a single-speed bicycle with a flip-flop rear hub so that you can choose between freewheel or fixed cog. I commute daily (not far: about 23 km round trip) on a freewheel single-speed. I try the fixed cog side every now and then, but find I prefer the freewheel for various reasons. I don't like the thought of having to take a sharp turn on a fixie, and clipping the pedal on the road. I trackstand at intersections; on a fixie, I find it awkward to get the correct pedal orientation for comfortable trackstanding, without either raising the rear wheel in the air to rotate it (with front brake applied, so it looks like you're doing a stunt in traffic, which is not a look I seek), or rolling a little further towards the intersection than I want to. Not really a problem if you don't ride in traffic, or you always clip out at intersections. I also prefer freewheeling down steep descents. On the subject of knees, for what it's worth, I use Speedplay Zero pedals (lots of float).

(Age: 43, Gear: 44x16)

·
Registered
15 Posts
just picked up my wabi cycles bike
Nice! Very clean.

What's the wheelset (rims, hubs)? Brakes (er, Tektro)?

Did you consider the SRAM Omnium crankset, or was the Sugino (nothing wrong with it) standard Wabi spec?

I dig the cable housing all the way to the rear brake, but can you tell me why you chose to secure the housing to the top tube via clamps, rather than (perhaps more discreet) braze-ons? I'm curious, because the frame is clearly set up for brakes rather than being a brake-less track/fixie bike (for example, there's a hole drilled in the bridge between the seat stays).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Now the weirdness. When I checked out this forum, not logging in, I could see my post, and the responses. When I logged in I couldn't see either. What gives?

201 - 220 of 247 Posts